Do I need a controller?

TripleT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 650 and plan to leave it all stock. I want to add in my dosing pumps for alkalinity and calcium. I am running a chiller but no heater. Is a controller overkill?

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A think a controller is never overkill if you have the money for one. And I would always have a heater installed just in case.

Brent \><{{{{*>
Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend the Neptune Apex. Does absolutely everything with the appropriate add ons.

Brent \><{{{{*>

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run Reef tanks (successfully) for over 20 years without a controller. I added an Apex about 10 months ago. And now I run a more stable, and more reliable reef system. I'm notified as soon as any of my parameters go out of the safe range. I know when my topoff runs awry, when my Calc Rx isn't adjusted correctly, when my CO2 tank runs empty, when my Kalk runs out, when my pumps fail, when my salinity waivers. I feel totally comfortable leaving home and knowing my tank is taking care of itself.

Having used the Apex for the past year I think it's a great product (not perfect) with a great support staff behind it. And the online support from Apex users is really amazing and responsive.

Dave B

OP
OP
TripleT

TripleT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really only want to run dosing pumps. Maybe put a heater and my chiller on it. The tank has a built in top off.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater, Chiller, Dosing pumps are easy.

But if you're going to run heater and chiller, then also add your lights - You can turn them off if the temperature gets to high. If the heater/chiller fails you can be notified by text or email when the temperature swings out of your preset range. You can add float switches so you know if your topoff fails (either on or off). You can add a conductivity probe so you know if the topoff gets stuck on. These are standard features of the Apex. So if you're going to buy it you made the major investment. Investing in some float switches ($5 each) gives you more security of being aware if things go wrong...

Dave B

OP
OP
TripleT

TripleT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run an APEX on my Red Sea Max 250. It controller my 2 MP10's, LED's, Chiller, Heater, ATO, Skimmer, and main pumps. I have liked it but programming it was a major pain in the rear. I am looking for an easier solution to operate. I dont plan to control anything but chiller, heater, and dosing pumps as the tank itself has timers for T5 lighting and moon lights. I am willing to buy another APEX but I am looking for least expensive route with the little that I want to do with it. If you think that is the right solution then please tell me the pieces that I need. I also would like to monitor the Temp for the chiller and the Ph only because I am to lazy to test it. Thanks

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont plan to control anything but chiller, heater, and dosing pumps as the tank itself has timers for T5 lighting and moon lights. I am willing to buy another APEX but I am looking for least expensive route with the little that I want to do with it.

The Apex Jr. has a temp sensor and relay switching so it can handle your listed requirements.

I also would like to monitor the Temp for the chiller and the Ph only because I am to lazy to test it. Thanks

The Apex Jr does not include a pH circuit so you would need to add a PM1 module and pH probe at a price of roughly $150.00
at which point, you would have been smarter to buy the Apex Lite from the start.

Apex Jr @ $220.00 + PM1 @ $85.00 + pH probe @ $45.00 = $350

Apex Lite = $370.00

The Apex Lite is only $20.00 more than the Jr equivalent and it does not have the 4 module limitation that the Jr has. There are also optional modules that work with the Lite that do not work with the Jr.

This assumes you go the Neptune Apex route which I am not necessarily endorsing but it sounds like the best solution for you given the currently available options.

OP
OP
TripleT

TripleT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to program them really well? I will need much help! I would be willing to pay someone to help me get it set right. Who do you suggest I buy it from? Will they help me program it? Thanks everyone for all the help on this.

OP
OP
TripleT

TripleT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read it with my first one and ended up having someone else program it. Scary part is I work in IT!

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read it with my first one and ended up having someone else program it. Scary part is I work in IT!

That's funny.... I'm not computer savvy at all and I learned it pretty easily. The only part that I struggled with is setting up the static IP address. It does help to do some trial and error though. I used a desk lamp to test some of the functions before I used it for its actual purpose. That way it was a visual on or off.

Brent \><{{{{*>

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in your neighborhood I would love to help you out, as I enjoy programming that controller.

Brent \><{{{{*>

OP
OP
TripleT

TripleT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to live in Akron, that would have been easier. If I buy it Would you be willing to do a screen share with me?

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries... I know it can be frustrating when you don't understand the language yet. Just PM me when you are ready.

Brent \><{{{{*>

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more notes on your hardware choice.

You can buy the Apex Jr. without the display module for $135.00 (APEX Jr | Reef LED LightsReef LED Lights)
which would bring your Jr cost to $135.00 + $85.00 + $45.00 = $265.00 which is $105.00 less than the Apex Lite but the Jr only has 4 outlets and limited expansion (5 modules) so if you can get by with 4 outlets with no display unit then you can get all of your listed requirements with the Jr + PM1 + pH probe for $265.00

Back