Do I need a macro lense.

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by O'l Salty, Feb 25, 2018.

1. O'l Salty

O'l Salty Active Member

I'm shooting with a Canon 55-225 telephoto lense. I added A 36mm tube and I'm getting some nice macro shots. Is there anything to gain by buying a true macro lense? If so should I get a telephoto lense or fixed lense.

Tags:

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

If you’re happy with your shots, I’d say no. I upgraded to a 90mm Tamron and I really like it. If you’re going to go for a macro, get a prime lens.

3. Denisk

Denisk Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I agree with @TheEngineer if you like the shots your getting, why spend the money? I do at the same time think using something like extension tubes is no comparison to a high end macro lens. I personally bought a canon 100mm is and I must say it’s incredible. However I delt without one for quite sometime and got great shots also.

4. O'l Salty

O'l Salty Active Member

My shots are ok. I'm having trouble with hi ISO setting which are set automatically. Some lenses have a light ring and I wonder if that would help lower the ISO. I want very close up shots that are crystal clear.

5. O'l Salty

O'l Salty Active Member

Did you get a fixed or zoom lense.

6. Monterey Bay Coral

Monterey Bay Coral Active Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

True macro lenses will have 1:1 magnification, you will not be able to achieve this with other lenses.

Denisk likes this.
  7. Denisk

Denisk Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

The “canon 100mm is” is a fixed lens. However I do have a zoom lens and a little 50mm laying around as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted