Do I need a protein skimmer for LPS corals?

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm a little new to keeping corals, I was wondering if my corals would benefit from having a protein skimmer or not? I'm asking because I heard that LPS corals like "dirtier" water with some more nutrients in it. So wouldn't the skimmer reduce those nutrients that they need? I only have 2 clownfish and a yellow watchman goby.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!!!!
You do not need a skimmer to successfully keep corals but if you want you could. They don’t remove all the nitrate but reduce them.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!!!!
You do not need a skimmer to successfully keep corals but if you want you could. They don’t remove all the nitrate but reduce them.

+1. There's certainly an arguement for not needing a skimmer but I would say, even if you left the skimmer collection cup off, the aeration provided by a skimmer is very valuable in gas exchange and thus keeping the pH in the tank up.

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering the same thing, I just bought a few cheap frags a Duncan candy cane and hammer. They opened up fine I think what's most important is that Calc alk salinity and magnesium are kept stable at the correct level. But I think I'm going to get a skimmer just because I don't want to fight algae and black friday is upon us.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back