Do I need a skimmer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zelly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Is a skimmer still beneficial for me?

  • Yes

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Maybe (explain)

    Votes: 2 13.3%

  • Total voters
    15

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2023
Messages
88
Reaction score
72
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder display, 20 long sump, my sump has a large refugium with chaeto and a deep sand bed. The display has 3 fish (2 clowns and a purple firefish) and a couple corals (mostly softies). I test with hanna checkers, nitrate is 0ppm and phosphate is 0.04ppm (phos reagent is expired though, trying to get new one). I have never had a skimmer before so not sure if it will still benefit my system in ways other than nitrate and phosphate. I'm trying to bring these levels up by feeding more but struggling to do so. I also dose All For Reef, if that is at all relevant.
 
I have a 40 breeder display, 20 long sump, my sump has a large refugium with chaeto and a deep sand bed. The display has 3 fish (2 clowns and a purple firefish) and a couple corals (mostly softies). I test with hanna checkers, nitrate is 0ppm and phosphate is 0.04ppm (phos reagent is expired though, trying to get new one). I have never had a skimmer before so not sure if it will still benefit my system in ways other than nitrate and phosphate. I'm trying to bring these levels up by feeding more but struggling to do so. I also dose All For Reef, if that is at all relevant.
if your nutrients are so low, definitely not. At least not at this time.
 
I have a 40 breeder display, 20 long sump, my sump has a large refugium with chaeto and a deep sand bed. The display has 3 fish (2 clowns and a purple firefish) and a couple corals (mostly softies). I test with hanna checkers, nitrate is 0ppm and phosphate is 0.04ppm (phos reagent is expired though, trying to get new one). I have never had a skimmer before so not sure if it will still benefit my system in ways other than nitrate and phosphate. I'm trying to bring these levels up by feeding more but struggling to do so. I also dose All For Reef, if that is at all relevant.
Maybe keep your photoperiod shorter on refugium and remove some chaeto?
 
if it helps, my frag system is a 50g display with 40g sump, 5 fish, lots of snails, no skimmer. runs fine all residents happy.
 
I have a 40 breeder display, 20 long sump, my sump has a large refugium with chaeto and a deep sand bed. The display has 3 fish (2 clowns and a purple firefish) and a couple corals (mostly softies). I test with hanna checkers, nitrate is 0ppm and phosphate is 0.04ppm (phos reagent is expired though, trying to get new one). I have never had a skimmer before so not sure if it will still benefit my system in ways other than nitrate and phosphate. I'm trying to bring these levels up by feeding more but struggling to do so. I also dose All For Reef, if that is at all relevant.
The posts below all have great and valid opinions.
I would still use it ( lowest setting ) to still provide extra oxygenation and the addition of a co2 scrubber might be nice to help boost ph unless that refugium is really cranking it up
 
The posts below all have great and valid opinions.
I would still use it ( lowest setting ) to still provide extra oxygenation and the addition of a co2 scrubber might be nice to help boost ph unless that refugium is really cranking it up
Thanks, I have hardly been running the fuge light the last few days and nitrates are still bottomed out
 
Thanks, I have hardly been running the fuge light the last few days and nitrates are still bottomed out
What test are you using?
 
cube of what? Have you tried mysis? Reef roids will raise your po4
Right now I have "Formula One" and "Saltwater Mulit Pack" but im about to run out of both so im open to suggestions. I also dose Oyster Feast, Phytoplankton, and Zooplankton
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new