Do I need ABx? Doctor?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My jeweled moray just nipped me. I remember reading bacterial infection rate is high. I rinsed with hot water and soap immediately now bandage and neosporin.

help?
2F07EB4B-4FCF-4E17-B1D9-1A7AE665E9F2.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I normally draw the line at giving medical advice for humans (see disclaimer in my tagline below).

Was it a puncture or a slash? If the latter, less of an issue I think. Still, aquariums have a variety of nasty bacteria in them.

Side story: back in the 1980's, I was the head diver at a public aquarium. One of my divers got slashed by a 8' green moray while he was CARRYING IT during a dive show. He finished the show with his hand tucked under his arm. When he came out, I couldn't stop the bleeding and so I drove him to the hospital instead of calling an ambulance (because I figured it was faster), but still, that was stupid on my part. He recovered with no loss of function, but with 30+ stitches so I guess you'll be o.k. (grin).

Jewel morays sure are nasty critters....seriously though, any sign of infection, see a doctor!

Jay

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I normally draw the line at giving medical advice for humans (see disclaimer in my tagline below).

Was it a puncture or a slash? If the latter, less of an issue I think. Still, aquariums have a variety of nasty bacteria in them.

Side story: back in the 1980's, I was the head diver at a public aquarium. One of my divers got slashed by a 8' green moray while he was CARRYING IT during a dive show. He finished the show with his hand tucked under his arm. When he came out, I couldn't stop the bleeding and so I drove him to the hospital instead of calling an ambulance (because I figured it was faster), but still, that was stupid on my part. He recovered with no loss of function, but with 30+ stitches so I guess you'll be o.k. (grin).

Jewel morays sure are nasty critters....seriously though, any sign of infection, see a doctor!

Jay

It’s an actual bite, 4 distinct teeth, no stiches needed, already done bleeding, I will watch it. Thanks!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the top of my head, the two bacterial infections I can think of that involve saltwater are Vibrio and Mycobacterium infections. Not a doctor, but if you start seeing any rapid tissue necrosis (i.e. your finger starts looking REAL weird), then get to a doctor. Or if you start seeing bumps in that area a while (6 months or so), then again, get to a doctor.

Other than that, seems like you did standard first aid in a calm manner, which is good. Wish I could have done that when a wasp stung my toe while carrying a bucket of water last night....water went EVERYWHERE.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 60 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back