Do I need ammonia source for macroalgae only tank?

Rapamycin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished cycling a 10g tank that I want to use for macroalgae only. I have chaetogrow, neophos, and neonitro. In addition to dosing those, do I need some kind of ammonia source so the beneficial bacteria don’t die or does that not matter….or is neonitro that ammonia/ nitrogen source for the bacteria?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what is in those products but lots of folks who grow plants add CO2 to the water column and Fe, the latter may also be in the products you have?

The plants don't need a cycled tank as they absorb ammonia and don't suffer from low concentrations that may be present in fresh live rock.

For coral tanks, I keep fish to provide nutrients for the symbiotic algae and in a tank without corals the plants would benefit from a fish in the same way. IF you don't keep the fish, then the products to provide nutrients are going to replace feeding the fishes.

Should be some plant tank folks on here who can give more specific ideas for what you are trying to do. :cool:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished cycling a 10g tank that I want to use for macroalgae only. I have chaetogrow, neophos, and neonitro. In addition to dosing those, do I need some kind of ammonia source so the beneficial bacteria don’t die or does that not matter….or is neonitro that ammonia/ nitrogen source for the bacteria?
What macro are you growing? Some macro needs iodine, which is not in ChaetoGrow. Also, some macro uptakes Calcium.

Is your macroalgae tank fishless? How did you cycle tank?

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 166 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back