Do I need to cure dry rock?

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought Nature's Ocean rock on Amazon:

They are quite dusty but look unused. Do I have to soak them in for a week or just clean it? I have everything else ready. Just wanna put the rock in first, the sand and water.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just clean it and put it in. Turkey baster the rock after the initial cleaning to blow off anything you missed and let the filter sock and protein skimmer get rid of the rest. I’ve done this many times without a problem.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add to my previous post. If there’s dead or decomposing matter which will usually be accompanied with a nasty smell then cure it.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this rock and think it is a really good value for the price, shipped to your door. I suggest using a high pressure hose to thoroughly rinse it. Even if you think you have cleaned it completely, clean it again. You would be amazed at all of the dust that will come out of it once you get it under water, even after rinsing.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is discolored with organic residue, you might want to bleach it to get ride of organics. Just rinse thoroughly and dry after using bleach.

Curing dry rock in seawater for weeks is usually done when it is suspected of possibly having phosphates in it that will leach out into the aquarium.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back