Do I need to dose PO4?

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Tank 220gal,1 year old, having 2nd cyano outbrake more than month, I think it is because of imbalance between no3 and po4, while NO3 were 5ppm my PO4 0.12, then I decided to start dosing DYI NOPOX, two weeks Dosing 20ml a day, every other day doing tests, and my PO4 were not dropping, so I started to dose potassium nitrate about 2ppm per day after few days my PO4 were 0.08, a left it with no adjustments, after 4days done test. and them my NO3 were about 20ppm salifert test kit, and my po4 0.06, then stopped dosing NO3, and today I have done tests, and now my NO3 still about 20ppm and PO4 0.04ppm,so my Nitrates not falling down at all, My target is about 10ppm NO3 and pho4 0.05. DO I NEED to start dosing trisodium phosphate to drop Nitrate or just increase NOPOX? I also have refugium 12hours working, but grape caulerpa growing very slowly... Cyano still going strong, I vacum it, not helped. I want to found best ratio dosing NOPOX to control low phos and low nitrate, also if need i will be dosing nitrate to not bottom out them. Going to shut down refugium later.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

Tank 220gal,1 year old, having 2nd cyano outbrake more than month, I think it is because of imbalance between no3 and po4, while NO3 were 5ppm my PO4 0.12, then I decided to start dosing DYI NOPOX, two weeks Dosing 20ml a day, every other day doing tests, and my PO4 were not dropping, so I started to dose potassium nitrate about 2ppm per day after few days my PO4 were 0.08, a left it with no adjustments, after 4days done test. and them my NO3 were about 20ppm salifert test kit, and my po4 0.06, then stopped dosing NO3, and today I have done tests, and now my NO3 still about 20ppm and PO4 0.04ppm,so my Nitrates not falling down at all, My target is about 10ppm NO3 and pho4 0.05. DO I NEED to start dosing trisodium phosphate to drop Nitrate or just increase NOPOX? I also have refugium 12hours working, but grape caulerpa growing very slowly... Cyano still going strong, I vacum it, not helped.
IMHO there is no right or wrong answer here. BUT - I would caution you to try to avoid doing multiple things at one time (i.e. shutting down refugium, changing your dosing often (of whatever). These things usually resolve with time - in other words - no matter what you do with N and P - your cyanobacteria may take a while to resolve.

I do not understand your comment (maybe I'm reading it incorrectly) - "I want to found best ratio dosing NOPOX to control low phos and low nitrate, also if need i will be dosing nitrate to not bottom out them. Going to shut down refugium later."

NOPOX reduces both nitrate and P - so I'm not sure what you're saying about it in the quote above.

To be honest - I would stop everything (except your refugium) - consider lighting that 24 hours rather than 12. And let things settle at whatever balance they are going to settle at. THEN - decide what you need to do - and the best way to do it.

I've only done it twice in decades - but chemiclean can be quite helpful - with a water change as in the directions. Many people do not like it - thinking that it can cause other algae outbreaks/Dinos. I have not seen this. I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself by commenting on a 'chemical solution' after telling you to stop dosing things - but I'm just mentioning it as a possibility as compared to recommending it.

Good luck - hope this helps.

OP
OP
M

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean NOPOX always dropping more nitrates than phosphates so if nitrates bottoms out just keep dosing potassium nitrate to make nitrate and phosphate stable at 5-10ppm and 0.05ppm.
I am just not a fan of these chemiclean because its just a band aid. Want to go in natural way to solve this cyano problem.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean NOPOX always dropping more nitrates than phosphates so if nitrates bottoms out just keep dosing potassium nitrate to make nitrate and phosphate stable at 5-10ppm and 0.05ppm.

I agree except that unless you are closely watching potassium, using potassium nitrate risks excessive potassium. Sodium or calcium nitrate are better bets for that reason, IMO.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am just not a fan of these chemiclean because its just a band aid. Want to go in natural way to solve this cyano problem.
I agree with you about chemiclean. I only mentioned it in the sense that when you use it - you do a big water change - and that will drop your nitrates - without needing NOPOX.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back