Do I need to evacuate frogspawn asap?

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, please see the attached pics from yesterday and today. Wall frogspawn appears to be receding. I have no idea what that substance is in the receded area and need to decide whether to run to LFS to grab QT.

1) should I remove from tank asap?

2) can I place it in my fish QT or do I need a separate coral QT?

3) what should I dip it with? Currently I only have Seachem Reef Dip and Brightwell Koral Recover (I also have coral rx but assume that’s not applicable here)

I’ve been checking parameters 2-3 times a week since the hammer next to it died two weeks ago (that I presumed to be related to a conch knocking it around and climbing on its head) and parameters have not really changed, except intentional, steady decrease in phosphate and alkalinity, which is now .24 and 9.0, respectively.

IMG_3683.jpeg IMG_3684.jpeg IMG_3704.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tissue recession, unfortunately this is extremely common in euphyllia divisa and is the fate of the majority of them, they arent easy to keep. Could also have BJD, though the way to be sure is the "smell test", take it out of the water and smell it, if it smells like rotten eggs or decaying tissue than it's BJD, if it smells like a normal aquarium rock than it's not

Last edited:

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing the brown around the receding areas I was thinking BJD as well but have not had hammers or frogspawn in a while.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like brown jelly. It is very agressive andvwill spread to other LPS. I would do a search to find out the latest ways to treat for it.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like brown jelly. It is very agressive andvwill spread to other LPS. I would do a search to find out the latest ways to treat for it.
Evacuate immediately,if it's BJD. It can and will spread to other Euphyllias!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back