Do I need to use a flush cartridge when replacing RODI sections?

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished installing a smart buddie booster bump to my aquatic life RODI, and while I was at it I bought new RODI cartridges since I was getting some TDS readings. The installation video for the booster pump recommended that you should put on the flush cartridges () and let the unit run for a bit before installing the last two sections.

Problem is I have no idea where I put those flush cartridges, if I even still have them. How critical is it to flush the system out? Are there any workarounds? Thanks

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always want to flush out before putting in line as depending which cartridge your adding may have small residue that would preclog the filter after it and or coatings that you don’t want in your makeup water

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which RO unit you have. Yes it is a good idea to flush the prefilter cartridges. Not sure exactly what flush cartridges are, I've never seen or heard of them. The only way I've ever seen to flush them is to unhook the cartridges and run water thru them. So the first cartridge will be the sediment cartridge. This is normally just tightly spun strings which can be made from various materials. I usually don't run this very long. Maybe a few gallons. Once flushed you can then hook it back up to the carbon filter. Now you can run the water again to flush out the carbon filter. I usually fill up a five gallon bucket. Then you can hook it back up to the RO filter. If the RO filter is new then you can run water again for about 30 minutes are so to get rid of the preservatives on the membrane. You should be ready to go now.

FYI, the sediment and carbon filters do not do anything to tds. Most of the tds is removed by the RO membrane, which should be between 95 and 99% depending on the filter you buy. I personally only use the spectrapure 99% membranes. Any tds left after the ro membrane is then taken out by the di filter.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U wanna add a flush valve before the ro membrane. It just sends water through all the unit but the membrane.
Basically saving life on your ro membrane by running any "still" water that has sat ...through the unit. I usually flush my unit for say 2-5mins prior to me making rodi water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back