do i really need a lid?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i am gonna get the 300XL Reefer tank (65g), and will get some basic fish - clowns, gobies, blennies, some wrasses, etc. Would i need a lid? I know i probably need a lid for the wrasse, however are there any wrasses that don't jump? Also I would appreciate any other ideas for stocking a 65g peaceful mixed reef!
Cartoon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all fish can jump, at present you just see them as fish, when you have been looking after them for a while you will hate to walk in one morning and see one of your pets on the floor just because you thought your tank would look better without a lid.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t use a lid , I have blennies , six line , clowns and dottyback

Attachments

• 5EEABD56-B6E7-4E14-936B-92F88A5FE75A.jpeg
    5EEABD56-B6E7-4E14-936B-92F88A5FE75A.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 76

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not if, but when. And I resisted a lid until the day I found my trigger on the carpet. Luckily I scooped him back up and put him into the tank quickly enough that he survived. Just get it now and be done with it.

I found one of my baby Percula clowns on the floor one morning while getting ready for work. I am lucky I didn't step on him. He survived thankfully.. The Diamond goby that jumped from my 55, unfortunately did not have such luck. One of the cats found him first and sad to say he did not survive.

So in answer to the OP, YES.. cover your tank!!!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting the new tank! That's a really nice one and it's a great size for a starter reef tank. Big enough to have plenty of system stability---and to be able to add cool fish and corals.
Definitely +1 on all fish can jump---and some will definitely jump. What's your reason for not wanting a lid? If it's because of the way it looks, there are some great solutions ranging from DIY cheap to expensive custom made options that look really nice. Regarding the latter, check out Clearview Lids and Kraken Reef for custom lid examples. Regarding the former, you can buy a cheap, thin acrylic sheet and cut it to size yourself or have a local glass shop do it for a few bucks.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur gonna want some form or lid or.cover yes.
You can diy make one from a window screen kit at the hardware store and some smalle 1/4" square bird netting. From the garden section. U will need the black spline material and spline tool. Looks like a pizza cutter. Hths u man.
D

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you'll need a lid. Fish will jump. Maybe not soon but eventually and you'll be devastated. I had a blonde naso tang jump after having it for over 5 years.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've left my lid off and had fish jump. If you ask me I'd say yes... what's the hassle of a lid if it saves a brand new wrasse from jumping out of your tank

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah unless you don’t mind replacing the fish and potentially bringing in disease with each new one.

The worst is when you get attached and the fish hasn’t jumped and it’s been years… but then one day it does :( Bye bye fishy you have had for so long.

anemoneanatomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is basically no downside to having a lid, and you're ensuring that you don't come home to a fish dead on your floor.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As EVERYONE stated, get a lid lol. I have lost lionfish, multiple clowns....even a hawkfish. Only a matter of time before a fish jumps.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting the new tank! That's a really nice one and it's a great size for a starter reef tank. Big enough to have plenty of system stability---and to be able to add cool fish and corals.
Definitely +1 on all fish can jump---and some will definitely jump. What's your reason for not wanting a lid? If it's because of the way it looks, there are some great solutions ranging from DIY cheap to expensive custom made options that look really nice. Regarding the latter, check out Clearview Lids and Kraken Reef for custom lid examples. Regarding the former, you can buy a cheap, thin acrylic sheet and cut it to size yourself or have a local glass shop do it for a few bucks.
my mom and dad say that its to expensive and i dont need it because fish are not stupid enough to jump out and kill themselves

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back