New tank

harveys_harvest

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2026
Messages
32
Reaction score
15
Location
Central Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a 29-gallon BioCube and I’m planning to turn it into a coral-focused tank. While I do want to add a few fish, my main interest is building around invertebrates, especially some of the more unique or unusual options out there.

I like the idea of eventually adding a conch, but I plan to wait until the tank is well-established (a few months in) before going that route.

I’m posting for two main reasons:

1. I’d love to hear your stocking suggestions, especially for interesting invertebrates. I’m open to fish ideas as well, just not clownfish.
2. I’d appreciate advice on any additional equipment I should pick up.

Right now, I have:
Two sponges for mechanical filtration
Biological filter media
Return pump
I have the lid, but I will be replacing it with a see through lid and I'm getting new reef lights too.

I have a picture attached. No worries I plan to clean it out! Thanks in advance for any ideas or guidance!
767916bf-29b1-47c0-99b1-9f1c919575a3.jpg
fdad426c-248f-4258-860e-6d325404b03c.jpg
 
Seems like great fun! I can just imaging what it will look like in 6 months, and in a year! 🎉
 
PS: Good old fashion, cheap filter floss works great in BioCubes.
 
1777086795964.jpeg


I like to split my loc line and add an extra flange-- one points into the tank for flow, one points to break the surface and aerate the water. (Ignore the bubbles in the photo.) Other than that, the beauty of a BioCube, really, is simplicity.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new