do i really need a lid?

tikalize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad idea… many fish can jump right thru eggcrate …
Depends on what many fish you are referring too. My eggcrate openings are 9/16 and many fish are larger than that.

20210625_225739.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is basically no downside to having a lid, and you're ensuring that you don't come home to a fish dead on your floor.
The downside is that it’s a PITA for any kind of feeding, cleaning or maintenance. And I had a cleaner wrasse torpedo his way through a standard 3/16”-1/4” mesh lid. Thrice...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my mom and dad say that its to expensive and i dont need it because fish are not stupid enough to jump out and kill themselves
2 of my wrasses went carpet surfing because I couldn't get my diy mesh screen secure with HOB equiptment. They found cracks by my protein skimmer to escape from. 1 fire goby, 1 pintail wrasse, 1 mccosker wrasse, Still upset today.
All I had at the time was the wrasse, 2 fire goby and 2 clowns with 2 cleaner shrimp. Found them behind the tank dried as jerky when we upgraded from a 60g to 112g system.
So, if they want to jump. The lid has to be secure. Hard to do with hob equipment. You shouldn't have that issue with the red sea reefer, no need for hob equipment.

Do think about it, wash dishes for an extra week or 2 . Do some extra chores, to get parents to buy a screen kit. it's about 50dollars. And will be worth it.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A DIY screen kit is pretty cheap and actually a fun little project for anyone (including kids) to do. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/search?w=screen top
In my opinion/experience, part of the fun in this hobby is DIY projects. Not only is it fun, but you can tell your parents that such projects teach you useful things like how to use tools, etc.
Final piece of advice, generally don't listen to Canadians. They happened to give some good advice for once on this thread, but usually you can't trust them ;)

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though many people have encouraged you to get a lid and your parents are definitely wrong about them not jumping (several species jump when scared for survival tactics and in the wild would just end up right back in the ocean), what people have not mentioned is that we are giving these animals a home and we are in charge of their care. It's not just that they 'may go carpet surfing' it is that they die a rather slow and painful death due to suffocation. Just get/make the lid - any fish can jump.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though many people have encouraged you to get a lid and your parents are definitely wrong about them not jumping (several species jump when scared for survival tactics and in the wild would just end up right back in the ocean), what people have not mentioned is that we are giving these animals a home and we are in charge of their care. It's not just that they 'may go carpet surfing' it is that they die a rather slow and painful death due to suffocation. Just get/make the lid - any fish can jump.
i will try. Thanks for the reply

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Eggcrate. Just cut it to fit and allows evaporation. Lids wont.

Omg i was looking to build a lid then u just reminded me how easy egg crate would be. Thank bra

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg i was looking to build a lid then u just reminded me how easy egg crate would be. Thank bra
What size fish are you trying to protect? Many small fish, including wrasses, gobies, dart fish and damsels can easily go thru the large holes of egg crate.

IdahoJem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i am gonna get the 300XL Reefer tank (65g), and will get some basic fish - clowns, gobies, blennies, some wrasses, etc. Would i need a lid? I know i probably need a lid for the wrasse, however are there any wrasses that don't jump? Also I would appreciate any other ideas for stocking a 65g peaceful mixed reef!
Cartoon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Everything I read says better safe than sorry. I'm also building a 300XL (waiting for delivery). Red Sea has a cover specifically for the 300XL which you can purchase from Amazon at

IdahoJem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i am gonna get the 300XL Reefer tank (65g), and will get some basic fish - clowns, gobies, blennies, some wrasses, etc. Would i need a lid? I know i probably need a lid for the wrasse, however are there any wrasses that don't jump? Also I would appreciate any other ideas for stocking a 65g peaceful mixed reef!
Cartoon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Here's the list of options I've looked at:
  • Clown
  • Wrasses
  • Purple Firefish Goby
  • Yellow Watchman Shrimpgoby
  • Bumblebee Goby
  • Shrimp Gobies
  • Blennies
  • Swallotail Anglefish
  • Pajama Cardinal
  • Foxface Rabbitfish (venomous)