Do I really need to wait 48 hours before calibrating Trident?

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a used Trident which same with the DIY Rebuild kit. I completed the rebuild yesterday, installed fresh reagents and brought the unit online for the first time. CA/Mag are reading about 100-125 points higher than my repeated salifert tests. Alk is reading about 1.5 pts low vs my Hanna.

I know there is some acceptable margin of error, but I'd like to try to tighten up the readings a bit. Do I really need to wait 48-72 hours before calibrating per the calibration task instructions?

I am still debating between calibrating with included solution vs tank water after reading a lot of posts.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until you get several consistent readings then do the calibration. I have calibrated with both the included solution and my tank water and personally I’d rather use my tank water and calibrate to my manual tests readings.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a used Trident which same with the DIY Rebuild kit. I completed the rebuild yesterday, installed fresh reagents and brought the unit online for the first time. CA/Mag are reading about 100-125 points higher than my repeated salifert tests. Alk is reading about 1.5 pts low vs my Hanna.

I know there is some acceptable margin of error, but I'd like to try to tighten up the readings a bit. Do I really need to wait 48-72 hours before calibrating per the calibration task instructions?

I am still debating between calibrating with included solution vs tank water after reading a lot of posts.
You could prolly bypass the wait time if you ran the manual tests 3 or 4 times in a single day then calibrated it.. I waited a couple days and it wasn’t off much.. I finally ran out reagents and went with the abc ones and it was way different than apex.. I used tank water to calibrate it and it was actually closer to abc than the apex reagents “using apex calibration fluid” i used salifert to confirm

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back