Neptune Trident Problem

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on Friday I went out and bought a trident with an apex el and set it all up after running the trident for over 48 hours I followed the instructions and used the calibration solution and calibrated my trident. Since hooking up the trident it has been reading very weird numbers for Ca/Mg and I have no idea how to fix this as I got a test done by a local fish store and the Ca is showing like 100+ over what a red sea test kit will read, the magnesium is having the same problem reading like 100-200+ whatever a red sea will read as well. I thought after using the calibration solution it would fix this but it didn't my readings are still insanely wrong and the Alkalinity is the only thing reading correctly in response with a Hanna checker. I am super frustrated with this machine as with how much it cost I would expect it to work right out the box and not give me all these problems with it's readings as I followed everything it told me to the T. It even isn't staying stable I don't know if that's normal to fluctuate the amount it does. If anyone has any experience with fixing this problem please let me know or if you are using a trident as well and know anything let me know. Images are down below the super low numbers for ca and mg is when it was calibrating.

Trident.PNG Ca.PNG Mg.PNG

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Write or call customer service they usually reply quickly. Good luck!

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Write or call customer service they usually reply quickly. Good luck!
I am submitting a ticket right now thank you good to hear they are quick most of the time on replies hopefully tomorrow I can get some help from them.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trident can be a bit frustrating to get it tuned in...
Several things to consider... each test type will likely return different numbers, as each have inherent inaccuracies and margin of error. For instance, my Hanna Ca will read 550 and my Trident will read 450. I have a 0.5 difference in the alk between the Hanna and the Trident as well.

I would recommend a couple of troubleshooting steps:
1. Make sure the intake line is free and clear of any micro bubbles or debris. You may want to milk it a bit and reprime the line several times. I assume you followed the directions and did not cut the black line (the intake). Critical not to do so!
2. Re-prime the reagents won't hurt... yes, it will waste some reagent, but if there are any air bubbles, or debris, it will throw off the test.
3. Let the Trident run for 2 weeks on your system without calibration. This may sound ridiculous, but I heard it directly from Neptune service. The reason to do so: The Trident has logic that will repeat tests when they are not within a specified "error" range. This is not something we can adjust, but what the tech said was that it does so to ensure that an aberrant reading is real.
4. Calibrate following the directions after 2 weeks. If you ran out of calibration solution, you can buy some from Neptune (assuming they are in stock). For reassurance, I run the calibration solution every so often through the Hanna checkers as well to see the variance.

Keep in mind, you're after stability, not an exact number. The Trident may read alk 9 and Hanna reads 10, but the number is irrelevant in comparison to the stability. Consistent and stable alk readings of 8.9 - 9.1 are more important than Hanna and Trident both reading 9.

Regarding Ca and Trident: For 12+ mo, the Trident has read 440-450 for Ca. ICP test (2x) were within a margin of error of the Trident. The Hanna consistently read 550+...

I've had mine running for 16 mo and am quite happy with the unit.
Hope that helps.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am submitting a ticket right now thank you good to hear they are quick most of the time on replies hopefully tomorrow I can get some help from them.
They are very quick to respond. With the Trident though, they will make you schedule a time with the tech. Troubleshooting the Trident takes quite a bit of time... I was on the line with them for 2 hrs.

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very quick to respond. With the Trident though, they will make you schedule a time with the tech. Troubleshooting the Trident takes quite a bit of time... I was on the line with them for 2 hrs.
Okay thank you, I am just trying my best to get it working the best as possible before I have to go back to my station.

FisheRare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they resolve the problem?

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they resolve the problem?
Yes they did basically they tell you how to clean the system by pushing water through it and how to maintenance it yourself. I can find the document of what I am talking about if you need it but basically you do it every time this happens or every 6months to ensure no clogging/wrong reading and you just recalibrate it.

FisheRare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they did basically they tell you how to clean the system by pushing water through it and how to maintenance it yourself. I can find the document of what I am talking about if you need it but basically you do it every time this happens or every 6months to ensure no clogging/wrong reading and you just recalibrate it.
Can you sent me what info of cleaning you have .much appreciated

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I stopped using the neptune cal fluid. Instead i test my tank 3x with salifert alk, mag, and cal then average those to get my calibration. I know what my water is why shouldnt i use it as my cal fluid? If you want it to read what your hanna reads cal it to the hanna. I never found the neptune cal fluid read close to my other test kits.

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using the neptune cal fluid. Instead i test my tank 3x with salifert alk, mag, and cal then average those to get my calibration. I know what my water is why shouldnt i use it as my cal fluid? If you want it to read what your hanna reads cal it to the hanna. I never found the neptune cal fluid read close to my other test kits.
I use my Neptune trident and send off my test to ATI every like 2 to 3 months to ensure the tank is fine, haven't seen much discrepancy between the values. But when you run into this error from the trident not being clean/not running correctly it will cause problems of course if you are using the auto dosing which is why i have built in fail safes as I have had the auto dose due to the trident reading wrong nuke my tank overnight but ever since I found out how to clean and maintain the trident no issues.

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This video is what helped me fix the issue but if you have more issues please contact Neptune support as they respond within like 2 days at most and they can even schedule a on the call tech to help you if needed if they still do that which they should. There support is super helpful! Please let me know if that works for you guys if you need it!

FisheRare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This video is what helped me fix the issue but if you have more issues please contact Neptune support as they respond within like 2 days at most and they can even schedule a on the call tech to help you if needed if they still do that which they should. There support is super helpful! Please let me know if that works for you guys if you need it!

This definitely helped me understand the machine itself and what everything does. i watched the video 2 times and cleaned my sample lines and checked all connections, recalibrated and values are not spot on to my Hanna checker values but much closer than before. Neptune values were ALK-640, Hanna was 9.6 after cleaning ALK-8.2 Hanna 9. the CAL-350, Hanna was 390 MAG-1050 red sea test 1150. so, they are a little closer than before, so it definitely helped. i still have a call with Neptune for Wednesday so hopefully that helps even more but for now i go off my Hanna checker readings even though im hearing they are not accurate

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This definitely helped me understand the machine itself and what everything does. i watched the video 2 times and cleaned my sample lines and checked all connections, recalibrated and values are not spot on to my Hanna checker values but much closer than before. Neptune values were ALK-640, Hanna was 9.6 after cleaning ALK-8.2 Hanna 9. the CAL-350, Hanna was 390 MAG-1050 red sea test 1150. so, they are a little closer than before, so it definitely helped. i still have a call with Neptune for Wednesday so hopefully that helps even more but for now i go off my Hanna checker readings even though im hearing they are not accurate
So here is the problem I was trying to match my Hanna checker at the same time but you have to realize one of them can be off without you knowing anyways. Mine was always off by about that much due to that I used a ATI test that you mail in for testing and found my neptune to be closer than my hanna checker but also you must realize like I said there is margin of error which can equate to this difference. If you want a really indepth look at your tank and RO water buy one ATI ICP test kit and take a look yourself! Also make sure to calibrate every time you change the reagents as thats why they come with the calibration solution. I normally do it every other but I was told to do it each time. I will say though an ATI ICP test kit will show a lot of stuff and don't get worried super much about all the values as some of them that show up really dont matter just worry about your alk, ca, ph, mag etc.... nitrates and phosphates.

Hope this helps out!

Back