Do I still need gfo or rowaphos if I run bio pellets?

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into starting up a reactor with bio pellets for the first time and I would like to know if anybody is still running a phosphate removal media with the use of bio pellets. My phosphates are at around .07 running rowaphos. Would I be starving the bacteria in the bio pellets if I would still run the rowaphos?

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into starting up a reactor with bio pellets for the first time and I would like to know if anybody is still running a phosphate removal media with the use of bio pellets. My phosphates are at around .07 running rowaphos. Would I be starving the bacteria in the bio pellets if I would still run the rowaphos?

I have to use GFO with my biopellets. I'm guessing you will too. Biopellets help with phosphates, but more so with nitrates.

OP
OP
20 gallon nano

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to use GFO with my biopellets. I'm guessing you will too. Biopellets help with phosphates, but more so with nitrates.
Have you ran gfo before without bio pellets, if so did u decrease the amount of gfo after you started bio pellets or r u running the same amount?

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ran gfo before without bio pellets, if so did u decrease the amount of gfo after you started bio pellets or r u running the same amount?

I had a big ball of chaeto before pellets. It kept the PO4 in check, but after I put the biopellets online, it started to die. So, the pellets removed enough PO4 to kill the chaeto, but not enough to keep my levels where I want them.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biopellets for no3, I would not rely on pellets for po4 removal. gfo for po4. your water tests will tell you which to run. you can run one or the other, or both at the same time in different reactors.

OP
OP
20 gallon nano

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone says it's a 16:1 ratio.16 nitrates to every 1 phosphate removed. I would think I could reduce the phosphate removal media if bio pellets would remove some also.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back