Do indo gold torch corals actually look like the pictures of it under blue light?

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I am interested in eventually buying one of those indo gold torch corals you see everywhere, however I have never seen one in person, and am wondering if they actually look as gold with bright blue tips in person, or if it's with some orange filter? I know most of my SPS look way nicer with orange glasses on, but I really only care to get a torch that expensive if it's enjoyable with out them. I just can't tell with all the photos online what it looks like under blue light?

Picture for reference:

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 10.26.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 10.27.29 AM.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they don't look like that under regular tank lighting (Photoshop and filters at its finest!) It's more of a pale gold with pale-medium blue tips (closer to the first image and definitely not the second).

I just picked up a dragon soul and I chose it over the indo gold because it was $60 cheaper and the coloring was much nicer (blue, purple, gold and then green tips). These are a shot of my two torches. Both indos, but the one on the left would be a black/orange tip vs. the dragon soul on the right. These were taken with an iPhone 8 under Radion G5 Blues with the Polyp Lab coral filter (no editing or color correction). Typical photos for dragon souls will show much more brilliance and rainbow effect, but again - this is more Photoshop than what you typically view when looking at them through the glass.

IMG_0054.JPG

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen tips like in the second pic in person, but that is not to say none are like that. I can say i have some gold torches that under blue lights look very much like the pics you posted(mis the tips on the second one)

Picture below is unaltered other than adjusted white balance when taking picture so it was not all washed out blue.

IMG_20211019_123823__01.jpg

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have "regular" Indo Gold, Hellfire, Dragon Soul, Goldfinger and NY Knicks torches, which all fall under the "Indo Gold" varieties. They look KILLER under blues. They also look really nice when my whites are at their peak for the day, but they're at their best when my whites are ramping down for the evening and it's not quite full blue viewing yet.

I have seen the "Ultras" and "24k" under blues, and they look phenomenal as well.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they don't look like that under regular tank lighting (Photoshop and filters at its finest!) It's more of a pale gold with pale-medium blue tips (closer to the first image and definitely not the second).

I just picked up a dragon soul and I chose it over the indo gold because it was $60 cheaper and the coloring was much nicer (blue, purple, gold and then green tips). These are a shot of my two torches. Both indos, but the one on the left would be a black/orange tip vs. the dragon soul on the right. These were taken with an iPhone 8 under Radion G5 Blues with the Polyp Lab coral filter (no editing or color correction). Typical photos for dragon souls will show much more brilliance and rainbow effect, but again - this is more Photoshop than what you typically view when looking at them through the glass.

IMG_0054.JPG
Funny... I have those same torches in my frag tank right now:
IMG_3856.jpeg

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don’t know about those particular torches. I don’t have one that is yellow with blue tips. But indo gold and yellow torches look great under blues. This is an accurate picture of what some of mine look like. This pic is under full spectrum but heavy on blue, like 18k or something. Look even butter under all blue
9FB99DE5-C32B-431B-8255-5B414506173B.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that looks very gold top down but not as gold from the side view. It's still gold... its just you can see the purple base from the side too.

The gold certainly shows better under blues then daylight. That goes for many corals.

If you have frag swaps in your area... you could go there to see them in person.

Side view vs top.

The far left is dragon soul, then a orange tip, and a indo gold above the green torch.

IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a bit of a side note, are there no more 'basic' torches anymore?

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen tips like in the second pic in person, but that is not to say none are like that. I can say i have some gold torches that under blue lights look very much like the pics you posted(mis the tips on the second one)

Picture below is unaltered other than adjusted white balance when taking picture so it was not all washed out blue.

What torch is that?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a very useful thread. I too have been considering going for one of the yellow torch corals. I was wondering if you guys have seen them thrive and proliferate In your tanks. I’m most interested in the ones that look bright solid yellow with light blue tips (rather than dragon soul).
do these actually grow? Someone in my club has a dragon soul that went from 1 head to like 40 in two years. At that rate, shouldnt These all be coming down in price?

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I just posted the same question in a different thread. I want a yellow not gold if that's even a thing??

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is that one?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that one?

Just a "gold torch" is as close as i can say. No fancy name i know of but i am sure there are probably a few fancy names some vendors call it. It can look yellowish depending on light but it is definetely gold and not close to the true yellows i have seen in person.

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought one from a site and the picture looks amazing!! but rarely do I go and pick them up and it looks like the picture. When I bought my holy grail I found that the sales picture was heavily photoshopped and was a bit disappointed but it still looks good under full blues but I tried every spectrum to get it to match and it just doesn't have those insanely green to yellow polyps or that deep purple tips. I'll try to post a pic this weekend for you when I pick it up and it gets settled in the tank of what the sales picture was and what it looks like under blues with no edits.

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just bought this one. If you're in Canada I find this company usually has higher prices but they have a lot more variety of intensely colorful corals :).

agREEFs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye
Hey all,
I am interested in eventually buying one of those indo gold torch corals you see everywhere, however I have never seen one in person, and am wondering if they actually look as gold with bright blue tips in person, or if it's with some orange filter? I know most of my SPS look way nicer with orange glasses on, but I really only care to get a torch that expensive if it's enjoyable with out them. I just can't tell with all the photos online what it looks like under blue light?

Picture for reference:

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 10.26.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 10.27.29 AM.png
Yes just bought one. Under the light tho only

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule#1.

Your Corals will never look as good as the day you bought them from your LFS or a show like Reefpalooza or Aquashella...hopefully after almost 6 months of acclimation, they will look almost as close.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back