OP
jmatt

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes those are nassarius and they are probably hungry and there isn’t enough food for them since it’s a new tank. I’d recommend burying some food like pellets in the sand. And no they shouldn’t kill or eat other snails they could have been dead already.
I threw in some shrimp last night and they tore into it. A while later I tossed in some more. I'll see if there's anything left alive in the tank when I get home tonight. lol

Gotta admit, I wasn't expecting Bloodthirsty Cannibalistic Killer Snails.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nassarius have never eaten anything that wasn’t dead before. My guess is your snail was dead already.

Mine eat anything that falls on the ground. If I don’t think there are enough leftovers for them, I drop a few pellets in the tank once or twice a week. The hermit crabs appreciate it as well.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes all snails and hermits seem to prey on something that recently died, it's an unfortunate event, you could try various foods but honestly nothing can stop them swarming over a dead inmate.
You could try algae wafers or crab cuisine, they go crazy over these.

If you provide more shells for hermits this will help them grow as they need bigger shells to move into and prevent more fights/more deaths ;)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back