Do nessarius snails eat other snails?

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a variety of snails in my new tank and a few days later it looks like the nessarius snails are ganging up on and attacking a trochus. Three of them had him flipped over and were on top. So thinking he couldn't get right side up, I brushed them aside and flipped him over and they immediately went right back after him.

So, do they eat other snails? It didn't look like a tickle fight.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some vendors accidentally or maybe knowingly have whelks mixed in with their nassarius snail orders

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw it again. One stumbled on a different trochus, flipped it on its side... and called for his buddies. Another nessarius about eight inches away raised his proboscis and immediately made a bee-line straight toward them.

And now that I'm looking around some more I see small shells that may have had a small blue leg hermit.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a leopard print? That would be a whelk.
IMG_5060.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I put a variety of snails in my new tank and a few days later it looks like the nessarius snails are ganging up on and attacking a trochus. Three of them had him flipped over and were on top. So thinking he couldn't get right side up, I brushed them aside and flipped him over and they immediately went right back after him.

True nassarius don't. Do you have a picture of them? You may have ended up getting sold a whelk instead.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hungry Nessarius snails.
The tank is only six weeks old and I have very little in it (3 very small banggai cardinals). I went out and picked up 15 snails (5 trochus, 5 astrea, 5 nessarius) and 5 very small blue leg hermits. I have brown algae starting to show, which is why I wanted to introduce a few CUC members.

It's very possible there's not enough for them to eat. What would one feed a snail? lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Generally not but similar known as whelk will. Also confused with Nassarius vibex. The whelk will have a snout that looks like it has tattoo patterns as in pic below:

Whelk is the one on top but you can see similarity

1676601233892.png

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes those are nassarius and they are probably hungry and there isn’t enough food for them since it’s a new tank. I’d recommend burying some food like pellets in the sand. And no they shouldn’t kill or eat other snails they could have been dead already.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back