**** DO NOT BUY AN APEX****

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex went out recently one morning. I was home due to shoulder surgery. Even if I was at work, my tank would have survived. My return is on a separate circuit.

Neptune fixed my base unit. It was up and running in 3 days. Neptune support is really good.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I challenge you to contact support on their website and create a ticket and SEE just HOW supportive they are and what customer care truly is !
If I were a hoarder, i'd have about 9 apex units @@ I hated them when I started with controllers as I did not understand how to set it up and became a faithful Reefkeeper owner and and now feel" Apex is the best controller alive ! "
I'd be interested to know if you get anything but an auto response from them on christmas/christmas eve.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear of your issues. In fairness, we all have issues with our tanks at some point, its how we respond to the issues is what allows us to move forward. If you haven't already done so, creating a ticket and contacting support is a must IMO. I am as bland/non computer person as it gets, and they found a way to work through my issues and help me. Understandable to be frustrated, but it would be helpful to actually get an update or understanding of the issues your are having as there are some VERY reliable and knowledgeable members here who would be delighted to help you. Good luck man, hope things turn out well for you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I challenge you to contact support on their website and create a ticket and SEE just HOW supportive they are and what customer care truly is !
If I were a hoarder, i'd have about 9 apex units @@ I hated them when I started with controllers as I did not understand how to set it up and became a faithful Reefkeeper owner and and now feel" Apex is the best controller alive ! "

I have to be brutally honest about Neptune Apex. Over the last couple of years it's been a "love/hate" thing. When the ATK came out - great concept but they used cheap Chinese optical sensors. After replacing them a couple of times then it was the Pmup pumps. I was at wits end with them, since then they have released version2 pieces that I employ - we'll see how they work vs originals. BUT... My Apex Classic has been flawless. It does what I want it to, it alerts me when something is wrong and granted it was a learning curve as I use 1 Apex unit to control 2 tanks and info to do this is limited. SunCrestReef here on R2R is a excellent reference point for ALL things Apex. And I have to say their customer support has been awesome. I emailed on a Sat AM not expecting to hear back from them until Monday. They responded within the hour on Sat.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, I got a good laugh when I checked up on the thread just a second ago, here is a screen capture of what I saw.

Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 3.38.26 PM.png

The irony is not lost on me here.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, I got a good laugh when I checked up on the thread just a second ago, here is a screen capture of what I saw.

I got the same ad and thought the same thing.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be brutally honest about Neptune Apex. Over the last couple of years it's been a "love/hate" thing. When the ATK came out - great concept but they used cheap Chinese optical sensors. After replacing them a couple of times then it was the Pmup pumps. I was at wits end with them, since then they have released version2 pieces that I employ - we'll see how they work vs originals. BUT... My Apex Classic has been flawless. It does what I want it to, it alerts me when something is wrong and granted it was a learning curve as I use 1 Apex unit to control 2 tanks and info to do this is limited. SunCrestReef here on R2R is a excellent reference point for ALL things Apex. And I have to say their customer support has been awesome. I emailed on a Sat AM not expecting to hear back from them until Monday. They responded within the hour on Sat.

And add to the above, Terence from Apex is a well respected member here on R2R and will address any concerns if you ask him. I like Terence because he doesn't give me "lip service". He's one of us and contributes to reefing.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Compared to last night, that’s nothing xD. The mods had some heavy work cut out for them

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if you had a bad experience, but telling everyone that their Apex will fail 100% is ridiculous. That's like saying "don't buy a computer...it will crash and you will lose everything". So nobody should ever buy one? Don't be so dramatic.

Yes, any piece of technology CAN fail, but saying it WILL fail so you shouldn't buy it is not sound advice. Plan ahead. Keep a backup copy of your config. Have a plan to substitute a regular power strip if necessary, keep spare parts in case something fails, or if you're really thinking ahead get a spare Apex pre-loaded with your config so if yours fails you can simply swap it out with a working unit and keep your tank alive, then contact Neptune Support to get the failed unit repaired or replaced. That's what I do.

Sorry if I'm not sounding sympathetic, but your attitude that it's junk and nobody should buy an Apex goes against the majority of successful Apex users.
So your suggestion is to buy two Apex's...Neptune must love you.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your suggestion is to buy two Apex's...Neptune must love you.

It boils down to how you use the Apex. If you choose to only use it for things that are non-critical or have a way to keep everything running if the Apex fails, then there’s no need for a spare.

If you do choose to set things up where you rely primarily on the Apex for life support and have no easy way to run your tank without it, then having a spare Apex makes sense.

I’m not saying everyone should buy two, but since I rely heavily on my Apex and have many thousands of dollars invested in corals, having a spare is a quick and easy insurance policy that lets me sleep well at night.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sort of confused at some of the comments here. Is an Apex system an aquarium controller or a aquarium alarm system? I thought the whole Point of it is to control the tank. If you can’t rely on it to control the tank Because the failures that happen, then you just stated that you have a high tech ph and temperature alarm. Now on top of that you (might) possibly need 2 of them in case of failure. So now you have $1400 in ph/salinity/temperature tester/alarm. You could (control) things from anywhere in the world, but you shouldn’t have everything connected to it because it could fail. The amount of failures to the Apex systems just keep mounting to what I see. So what do you connect to it? Wave makers? I’m kind of with the OP on this whole situation. I hope he gets the issues figured out.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sort of confused at some of the comments here. Is an Apex system an aquarium controller or a aquarium alarm system? I thought the whole Point of it is to control the tank. If you can’t rely on it to control the tank Because the failures that happen, then you just stated that you have a high tech ph and temperature alarm. Now on top of that you (might) possibly need 2 of them in case of failure. So now you have $1400 in ph/salinity/temperature tester/alarm. You could (control) things from anywhere in the world, but you shouldn’t have everything connected to it because it could fail. The amount of failures to the Apex systems just keep mounting to what I see. So what do you connect to it? Wave makers? I’m kind of with the OP on this whole situation. I hope he gets the issues figured out.

The Apex, like most other brands of aquarium controllers, can monitor and control your tank, but it's up to you to decide how and what you want to control. But because it's an electronic device being used around saltwater, there's always a chance something can go wrong, not because it's a flawed product, but because accidents can happen.

I had a really nice UPS battery backup system on the floor several feet away from my tank. One day I was cleaning my Gyre powerhead, and I accidently placed it back in the tank upside down. When I turned it on, it shot a jet of water about a foot high out of my tank and right onto the UPS battery. That fried it in 10 seconds. Is that a design flaw in the UPS battery?

Please don't take my comments in the post above to mean I don't trust my Apex. I've worked in the IT industry for 30 years, and have always firmly believed in redundancy. I choose to keep spare return pumps, spare lights, spare heaters, and yes, I have a spare Apex. Not because I don't trust it, but because I know accidents can happen, and any electronic device can fail at some point.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like OP has a bad EB8 or something like effect. Neptune support is awesome, and if they are off on christmas, then join the neptune forum and a wizard there will get you sorted any day of the year.

The apex is a computer. Hardware failures are not common, poor programming is extremely common. Ensuring that you are using the "Fallback" state effectively is key.

I dont feel like you need a backup unit, just have an apex veteran check your programming, and dont update firmware unless you will be around the unit for a few hours to ensure stability of new build.

Lastly, mods, I am a bit on the fence with the censorship on this one. The OP did kind of bring some criticism down on themselves with the inflammatory opening post and then trying to gain street cred with the HW ownership (totally unrelated). I know the trolls weren't being helpful, but OP could have handled it better as well... fault on all sides!

OP I hope you get sorted out, and I commend your concern for your livestock, I wish more people were as passionate as you about protecting them!

Good luck and merry christmas!

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP is local to me and coming by today to grab a spare EB8 i have laying around to get him through till he can get his fixed.
How wonderfully kind and thoughtful of you! Members like you are why I think R2R is the best. Bravo!

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately most things today will fail before they are designed to. America has just accepted that. Gone are the days of appliances lasting 25 years. That was a long time ago. Things were made like... Excuse the pun "tanks" back then.
It is sad to see for those of us that grew up seeing most products stamped "Made in America" on them, is long gone.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sick as a dog in bed on Christmas Day, ya, but I will give it a go as I run a Apex unit. First things first, we all get emotional when our tanks, that we do spend a awful lot of time and money on, have problems. So let’s try and keep this in the spirit of Christmas.

Ok, now what is the problem or problems you are having, I have read that things have turned off and on, but let’s break this down so we can help. Is the problem with the PB, is it not powering on, is it not responding to commands?

How incredibly kind of you to offer help when you are so sick. I've been there...sick on Christmas Day...and it's the pits. I hope you feel better soon!

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had plenty of second thoughts on my apex. ...Never had a total shut down, but fairly frequent loss of connectivity. Hardwired straight to a dedicated router and all! I find myself resetting the apex about twice a month to resolve the issue.

Neptune has the reputation as the "best", and they may be just that. I can't say because Apex is the only controller I've ever owned.

All I can say is that my equipment isn't the "bullet proof aquarium command center" that BRS made me believe it was going to be, so I have a "plan B" in place...

Even after saying all of that, I would still buy a controller if I had it all to do over....just maybe a lot more research into the equipment before spending money.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
APEX is 100% not necessary for a successful tank. However, there are need/wants that some of us have and we choose to use the APEX to accomplish them. Everything from tank monitoring to control, are up to the user on how reliant they need to be. As someone who travels constantly and needs to keep an eye on my tank from wherever, it was worth the investment. That being said, I do have backups in place to ensure that everything will keep working in various scenarios. I personally used NOAA weather data and data about my electrical grid history to make decisions on what I choose to back up. It is all a personal choice and not a one size fits all solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back