Status
Not open for further replies.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sort of confused at some of the comments here. Is an Apex system an aquarium controller or a aquarium alarm system? I thought the whole Point of it is to control the tank. If you can’t rely on it to control the tank Because the failures that happen, then you just stated that you have a high tech ph and temperature alarm. Now on top of that you (might) possibly need 2 of them in case of failure. So now you have $1400 in ph/salinity/temperature tester/alarm. You could (control) things from anywhere in the world, but you shouldn’t have everything connected to it because it could fail. The amount of failures to the Apex systems just keep mounting to what I see. So what do you connect to it? Wave makers? I’m kind of with the OP on this whole situation. I hope he gets the issues figured out.
After reading through the posts, I was thinking something similar. I did have one but it got fried when my tank overflowed - and yes...I had drip lines setup on all the cords. They didn't help with Niagara Falls happening. Basically, one accident and all that money goes up in smoke. I will agree with the OP that some tank issues are more frustrating to deal with than others...especially when they happen on Christmas Day when things are usually hectic anyway. I hope all will be figured out soon.

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so here is my 2 cents. my apex classic and EB8 power strips have been very reliable. I have found when there were issues it was only a few things. 1. i missed the firmware update and it started going wacky restarting. The update resolved this issue (couple grey hairs though) 2. It was my error writing the code and after carefully reviewing what I wrote and using the neptune apex forum for programming info I resolved it. The last issue I had as my heaters got older the internal thermostats became less accurate and I had to turn them up. They were not turning on even though the outlet was on abc calling for them to be on. I turned them up a little and this solved the problem. So this being said since I have had my apex all issues were easily resolved with a little trouble shooting. BTW how old are your heaters which are not working. I reccomend replacement every 2 years or at lease run a primary and backup heater. This is what I do one on each of my EB8’s

Hope this helps you get closer to your issue at hand. Happy Reefing

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP is local to me and coming by today to grab a spare EB8 i have laying around to get him through till he can get his fixed.
Bravo @GlassMunky! THANK YOU for HELPING out a fellow reefer in trouble!

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joedubyk sorry your having issues and more importantly sorry for the members who obviously don't want to help you and instead vilify you. Your always going to have fanboys that get mad when you have something negative to say about a product that they adore. To those members, you need to question why you even posted. Sad to see a member who is obviously distraught and panicked get heat like this then go and doubt if he even has a coral he mentioned. That's shameful, especially on Christmas. #reefsquad #MODS are there any members who have or run apex that can walk him through, if he hasn't left his thread from the barrage of attacks....
Spot on brother. While I'm a little late to the game and, thankfully, did not have a chance to see some of the negativity, I understand the frustrations and emotions sometimes associated with failing or failed equipment.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, I got a good laugh when I checked up on the thread just a second ago, here is a screen capture of what I saw.

Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 3.38.26 PM.png

The irony is not lost on me here.
Honestly, I held back my laugh so forcefully, out of respect for the OP's situation, that a little snot flew out of my nose and hit my computer screen. Sorry! Merry Christmas and I sincerely hope that @Joedubyk comes back and updates us. We are here for you.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I held back my laugh so forcefully, out of respect for the OP's situation, that a little snot flew out of my nose and hit my computer screen. Sorry! Merry Christmas and I sincerely hope that @Joedubyk comes back and updates us. We are here for you.
Oh yeah, this was no disrespect to him, I would love to have an update and see if we can be of further help.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It just completely shuts down. No rhyme or reason. Was working great for 4 months. Now it just shuts down. Everything The entire energy bar....
This happened to me as well. Well documented here - Im not saying its a bad product - as the title suggests - just documenting that this happened to me as well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Find out if it has the latest firmware update.
Update it, if it doesn't. The update should fix it.
The Latest Apex Classic Firmware Version is: 4.53_4D19
This is a known problem
When it happened to me - 2 chips had to be replaced. I would suggest that the OP contact Neptune to determine what the actual problem is.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is this lol

Did you try resetting the fuse? Or turning it off and on again? Usually people can do basic troubleshooting if something “completely shuts down”.

If programmed properly, outlets would go to fallback states if the head unit loses connection. You could literally trash the brain and the tank shouldnt miss a beat (And, you would be notified via heartbeat).

If everything is off, I suggest you check your breakers :)

I thought the same - however - when it happened to me - it was a chip problem. The OP doesnt mention if he can get his system 'back on line' - and then it fails again - but - for me - it just quit randomly and could not be restarted. And - also in my case - the EB failed - so there was no 'backup state' to fall back to (it was programmed correctly - there was 0 power to any of the outlets)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been running my classic for about 5 years now. Never a single hiccup with it.

I did have a day after a software upgrade that went wonky, but put my main life support on a power strip till I figured it out.
Seems to me that most of the issues do not relate to the classic - but the Apex 2016

Panky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if you had a bad experience, but telling everyone that their Apex will fail 100% is ridiculous. That's like saying "don't buy a computer...it will crash and you will lose everything". So nobody should ever buy one? Don't be so dramatic.

Yes, any piece of technology CAN fail, but saying it WILL fail so you shouldn't buy it is not sound advice. Plan ahead. Keep a backup copy of your config. Have a plan to substitute a regular power strip if necessary, keep spare parts in case something fails, or if you're really thinking ahead get a spare Apex pre-loaded with your config so if yours fails you can simply swap it out with a working unit and keep your tank alive, then contact Neptune Support to get the failed unit repaired or replaced. That's what I do.

Sorry if I'm not sounding sympathetic, but your attitude that it's junk and nobody should buy an Apex goes against the majority of successful Apex users.
Everything I’ve had on my Apex has failed with the exception of my probes. I’ve finally come to realize that the only thing I should be using it for is monitoring those probes. I’ve sent my head unit back a couple times, my EB832 a couple times, WAV’s, WXM, 1LINK, DOS, DDR, and lets not even go about mentioning those PMUP’s, or AFS. Not worth what you’re paying for it. I’m an engineer by trade and I would never put my name behind something that will only last 3 months to a year. My Apex Gold Classic worked like a champ for years. Was so stoked about the 2016, that I have only become more and more frustrated.

Panky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like OP has a bad EB8 or something like effect. Neptune support is awesome, and if they are off on christmas, then join the neptune forum and a wizard there will get you sorted any day of the year.

The apex is a computer. Hardware failures are not common, poor programming is extremely common. Ensuring that you are using the "Fallback" state effectively is key.

I dont feel like you need a backup unit, just have an apex veteran check your programming, and dont update firmware unless you will be around the unit for a few hours to ensure stability of new build.

Lastly, mods, I am a bit on the fence with the censorship on this one. The OP did kind of bring some criticism down on themselves with the inflammatory opening post and then trying to gain street cred with the HW ownership (totally unrelated). I know the trolls weren't being helpful, but OP could have handled it better as well... fault on all sides!

OP I hope you get sorted out, and I commend your concern for your livestock, I wish more people were as passionate as you about protecting them!

Good luck and merry christmas!
I believe he mentioned the HW colony to point out what was at stake with his EB832 going on the fritz. I believe he has one and what makes you think he doesn’t? If he lists $10 frag or a $5000 colony, it all means something. So, no I don’t think he was exaggerating. I’ve been in his shoes. My problem is I lost several thousands of dollars worth of fish while I just happed to be working a 16 hour shift. It’s gonna happen and Murphy’s Law is on Neptune Systems side.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe he mentioned the HW colony to point out what was at stake with his EB832 going on the fritz. I believe he has one and what makes you think he doesn’t? If he lists $10 frag or a $5000 colony, it all means something. So, no I don’t think he was exaggerating. I’ve been in his shoes. My problem is I lost several thousands of dollars worth of fish while I just happed to be working a 16 hour shift. It’s gonna happen and Murphy’s Law is on Neptune Systems side.

Ok, off topic but I would love to see some pics of your 600 gallon tank. I have a 160 now and will be upgrading in the near future.

Also I think it's a good idea to have the apex head and eb832's in a separate fan controlled cabinet. Like any electronics they are subject to heat and moisture. That's what I did with mine anyway.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I never said he didn't own a HW, nor did I claim that his coral losses did not mean anything, in fact to the contrary I commended his concern for his animals.

What I tried to say is that 2/3 of the time the "Apex fault" is on the side of the programmer, and most of the other 1/3 of failures can be prevented with failsafes (heater failure, primary return failure, EB8 failure, etc). I am an engineer as well and I believe that we make a profession out of trying to beat Murphy's Law. I am shocked that so many of your Neptune subsystems have failed. If that is the case, for someone with your education, a raspberry pi based controller may be the best solution. Then if anything goes belly up, you have free reign to troubleshoot yourself. An apex is for folks who either cannot build their own controller but want one, or those who, for the money, don't want to spend the time to do so (thats me).

Not to belittle the OPs situation, I do certainly feel for him and I sincerely hope that they get to the bottom of his issue and that his system can recover. I am just saying that a properly programmed Apex has saved far more systems than it has failed. Aquarium controllers have revolutionized reef tank stability, and continue to improve yearly. So in summary, to call the most successful system on the market "junk" simply is not responsible in my opinion.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, off topic but I would love to see some pics of your 600 gallon tank. I have a 160 now and will be upgrading in the near future.

Also I think it's a good idea to have the apex head and eb832's in a separate fan controlled cabinet. Like any electronics they are subject to heat and moisture. That's what I did with mine anyway.
With all due respect - if these were required. Neptune should have posted it.

Panky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said he didn't own a HW, nor did I claim that his coral losses did not mean anything, in fact to the contrary I commended his concern for his animals.

What I tried to say is that 2/3 of the time the "Apex fault" is on the side of the programmer, and most of the other 1/3 of failures can be prevented with failsafes (heater failure, primary return failure, EB8 failure, etc). I am an engineer as well and I believe that we make a profession out of trying to beat Murphy's Law. I am shocked that so many of your Neptune subsystems have failed. If that is the case, for someone with your education, a raspberry pi based controller may be the best solution. Then if anything goes belly up, you have free reign to troubleshoot yourself. An apex is for folks who either cannot build their own controller but want one, or those who, for the money, don't want to spend the time to do so (thats me).

Not to belittle the OPs situation, I do certainly feel for him and I sincerely hope that they get to the bottom of his issue and that his system can recover. I am just saying that a properly programmed Apex has saved far more systems than it has failed. Aquarium controllers have revolutionized reef tank stability, and continue to improve yearly. So in summary, to call the most successful system on the market "junk" simply is not responsible in my opinion.
A lot of Samsung phones around the 7 and Note were sold and Samsung was very successful. But even they had the common sense to recall their phones that were not functioning up to par when batteries were the issue and there were problems boarding a plane with them. So I’m not quite sure what you mean by the success of the company solely being put on the amount of units Neptune Systems are selling. I breaks down to this... if there wasn’t a problem then you wouldn’t see all of these posts about frustrated end users. They are doing a remarkable job software wise, but they need to concentrate on the hardware. If the hardware is not right then garbage in garbage out!!! Plain and simple! I have used Apex’s for the better part of 10yrs. And I have learned from my mistakes. Monitoring, great. Full control not so much.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

you would be wrong... there is no data or evidence to suggest that any not mentioning 2/3 of the problems with apex relate to programming....... Thats a ridiculous statement even on a friendly site:)

TOTALLY ridiculo0us. You are speaking from your personal experience I have a totally different one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back