Do platygyra grow skeleton first?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 30, 2023
Messages
3,158
Reaction score
2,642
Location
Falmouth
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for all you reefkeepers, have a platygyra for about a fortnight now and definitely noticed some growth by now, though I also noticed very small amounts of white tips/skeleton on the edges, he's obviously very happy but for awhile he was getting too much flow, I'm not concerned for his health as if it is recession it will heal quickly but do platygyra grow skeleton first?
 
I think I would quantify hard coral growth of soft and hard body parts as a simultaneous process.

I don't think they grow new skeleton and then add flesh to cover it, but lay down skeleton inside of the growing flesh.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new