Do return pumps fail 'slowly?'

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nyos Viper 3.0 return pump on my WB 45.2. When I initially got it in Oct-2020, I had to dial it all the way down and it has stayed there since.

As of a couple days ago, I am becoming increasingly convinced that it might be losing "juice" - I believe the outflow looks a little slower, and the pump chamber stays higher than it used to. I am also having to close the valve more than I remember (or think, anyway).

I know I can just turn the dial up, but I want to make sure this isn't a sign the pump is failing...am I just tripping over the flow? Is there anyway I can test the pump functionality to be certain - or is this evidence that the pump is going to give out soon? It wasn't bought used, so it should definitely still be fine - right?

thx y'all

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My return pump just failed me without any noises or sign of it going, had it for 3 years. Actually, it just shut off for about 2 minutes then kicked back on, but I won't risk it already put a new pump on.

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its usually a sign it needs a good deep cleaning. When is the last time you cleaned it?
*cough*

Obviously, I'm cleaning my pump all the time constantly, but my friend wants to know what this entails - is the outside just getting a good scrub or are we talking completely detaching and wiping every piece? Do tubes come out? is a scrub with water enough or do I i mean my friend need to get some chemicals involved

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*cough*

Obviously, I'm cleaning my pump all the time constantly, but my friend wants to know what this entails - is the outside just getting a good scrub or are we talking completely detaching and wiping every piece? Do tubes come out? is a scrub with water enough or do I i mean my friend need to get some chemicals involved
detatch, clean impeller and prolly a good soaking in citric acid.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime dc pumps loose ability to pump over time. The higher the head the faster it happens. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a dc pump fan and have been since they started coming on the seen. Have also found deep cleaning, and/or overnight soaks have little effect.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 10:1 solution of water to muriatic acid to clean my pumps. I let the pumps run in the solution for 10-15 minutes and then scrub. Quite a bit cheaper, faster, and easier to acquire than citric. Significantly more dangerous to your health though if you don't follow proper precautions.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime dc pumps loose ability to pump over time. The higher the head the faster it happens. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a dc pump fan and have been since they started coming on the seen. Have also found deep cleaning, and/or overnight soaks have little effect.
That is interesting. That would suggest to me that the magnets are becoming weaker and allowing the impeller to "slip" relative to the speed of the motor.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I can’t say for the dc pumps as I returned to the hobby 14 months ago. But I did have ac pumps that failed with no notice in the past.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take all apart and soak all parts including pump in citric acid or pure vinegar for a couple hours. Then scrub with brush to get calcium and deposits off. Should be like brand new when done. If you still have issues post cleaning, then maybe magnet could be going bad and you can usually replace that on some brands.

My recommendation is to always have a spare return pump waiting to go in action. Good practice as well as battery backup for aquarium.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Take all apart and soak all parts including pump in citric acid or pure vinegar for a couple hours. Then scrub with brush to get calcium and deposits off. Should be like brand new when done. If you still have issues post cleaning, then maybe magnet could be going bad and you can usually replace that on some brands.

My recommendation is to always have a spare return pump waiting to go in action. Good practice as well as battery backup for aquarium.
Agreed completely, I have a battery pack with 20 hours of life for my return and powerhead. It's the absolute minimum in case of long power outage to prevent whole tank loss.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your advice everyone. I am now absolutely thrilled and excited to tell you all that, uh, actually the pump broke :upside-down-face:. During my now routine pump cleaning, the "ceramic drive shaft" was split in two, so that was really fun and a joy to find out. I think it may technically be under warranty so let's see if we get anywhere with that...it lasted barely two years. lol

IMG_8104.jpeg

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen the ceramic rod in a while. Yeah they can be delicate when servicing a pump. I remember several pump companies I used to use in the past had those and I have broken my fair share. You maybwant to see if you can find a carbon or titanium replacement if available. When I had pumps that had those. I finally just bought a few extras on hand to have because you never know when you are dropping it or breaking it by pulling it out. Also don't forget magnet

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back