Do snails consume Cyanobacteria?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS says that Cerith snails do consume red Cyanobacteria - I'm skeptical on that, so wondering for those that have had red cyano, did you try snails and what was the result?

jermzisurmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone's tank is different, with that in mind my cuc including snails eat very little of my algae but they do eat it.... Not a reliable way to get rid of said algae, but with continual maintenance it will balance out and that's what ur looking for! U r the best cuc u have!!!

Cuc= clean up crew.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they do, but cyano can spread quicker than can be consumed. I had cerith snail and a few blue leg hermits and still had cyano outbreaks (small localized ones, never had take over by cyano). They lasted until the imbalance resolved (the smaller outbreaks I didn't bother cleaning just waited a bit). Did the cuc help? I'm sure they did. Did it stop any breakouts from occurring? Hard to say, but definitely still had them.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also heard that molly millers will eat it. But, even if true, I think cyano will grow and spread faster than it could be eaten. Cyano is a bacteria, not an algae, and there are no known organisms that feast primarily on cyano. You might get lucky with something test tasting it, but nothing will clear your tank of it.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once thing I like to throw out there is that one reason why cyano or other algae kick off is because there is nothing to out compete it for the nutrients in the system. A good way to do that is to add macro algae into your system. It can actually be quite beautiful and a display tank item if you pick a nice species. Or just chuck it in the sump if you must. It will help deplete nutrients and cause pest algae to slow, giving your CUC a chance to win the fight.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried lots of snails for cyano. None have made a serious dent in it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back