Do the members want a Freshwater Forum here?

Would you like a Freshwater forum here on R2R?

• YES

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • NO

Votes: 73 46.8%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 39 25.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had some slight urging to add a Freshwater Category here. How do you all feel about it?

PS. We could keep the FW threads and posts from showing in recent posts to those that don't want to see them.
I think you should have a separate forum accessible via an option In the drop down menu. Similar to how the quality marine website has its primairy (quality marine) but also has options to go to aquatropic, nutramar ect which are labeled as separate sites from quality marine. Sort of like a different forum that's still connected to R2R in a way.

Here's the link to what I'm talking about https://www.qualitymarine.com/quality-marine/
You'll see they have options to visit their other stores while still keeping quality marine as the primary/main focus

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
join-the-dark-side-emperor-palpatine.gif
I voted other because I agree the best option would be a sister site/app. I think it would be very useful for new hobbyists, who maybe will eventually want to transition over to salt!

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd be interesting to see how it'd work out, but a lot of people know this forum as the big Saltwater forum, and Aquarium Co-op already has a big Freshwater Forum called C.A.R.E I think a lot of Fresh people are familiar with. Would be interesting though

IMO I think an NPS section would be really neat. I know half the posts are probably going to be ID of if something is NPS or not, but I think it'd be nice to centralize everything Non-Photosynthetic since right now it's mainly spread between the Soft Coral and LPS sections, and some of the corals don't fit into either haha so maybe having a dedicated area would help organize a lot of it

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd be interesting to see how it'd work out, but a lot of people know this forum as the big Saltwater forum, and Aquarium Co-op already has a big Freshwater Forum called C.A.R.E I think a lot of Fresh people are familiar with. Would be interesting though

IMO I think an NPS section would be really neat. I know half the posts are probably going to be ID of if something is NPS or not, but I think it'd be nice to centralize everything Non-Photosynthetic since right now it's mainly spread between the Soft Coral and LPS sections, and some of the corals don't fit into either haha so maybe having a dedicated area would help organize a lot of it
Yes! Love that idea! Also should add a wrasse discussion as well, or maybe have fish discussion as a category and have wrasse, tang, angels ect discussion in it

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Love that idea! Also should add a wrasse discussion as well, or maybe have fish discussion as a category and have wrasse, tang, angels ect discussion in it
There are already too many sub-forums. It confuses people and is frustrating to navigate.

"My wrasse...."

"Whoa hold on there buckaroo, you need to go post that in the Wrasse forum"

"I didn't see that and he is in a tank with Tang and they are fighting"

"Ohh well go check out the community tank sub forum or fish agression sub forum then"

"Ok well I have only had the tank for a week, I will go there"

"Ohh wait bro... you need to be in the new to the hobby sub forum"

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are already too many sub-forums. It confuses people and is frustrating to navigate.

"My wrasse...."

"Ohh well go check out the community tank sub forum or fish agression sub forum then"

Fair point

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

"My wrasse...."

Actually…..almost any topic fits into the general reef discussion forum. :p

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually…..almost any topic fits into the general reef discussion forum. :p

At RC I rarely ( as in almost never) ventured out of the DIY forum. I have a feeling that many folks here are the same in that they find a sub forum that is "home"

I do think that the WHAT'S NEW and HOME thread displays do help that a lot.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea, it will give us a larger base and increase exposure. We get enough people asking fresh water questions.

Edit: above was my gut reaction. Then I read through the post. I see lots of great points about a sister forum. I know there's no fresh water forums that come close to r2r. So I say sister.

Last edited:

bryan47caveman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should have a separate forum accessible via an option In the drop down menu. Similar to how the quality marine website has its primairy (quality marine) but also has options to go to aquatropic, nutramar ect which are labeled as separate sites from quality marine. Sort of like a different forum that's still connected to R2R in a way.

Here's the link to what I'm talking about https://www.qualitymarine.com/quality-marine/
You'll see they have options to visit their other stores while still keeping quality marine as the primary/main focus
It could be named “beta mode”

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t even be allowed to drink freshwater if you want to be part of this forum!
I think you have salt water running in those veins!

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the doesn’t matter one way or the other camp. Though I would appreciate not having to see any of the posts unless I choose to.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others about the other domain. I think it would be fine if it was a secondary domain and those that want to see the fresh water stuff can see that, but if not, then you don't have to see it.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like in every forum or say Facebook page people come in and insist that we stray from the intent and expand to talk about their outside of the topic interests. Tends to dilute the quality of the material. So no. If you want to talk freshwater go elsewhere please.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am totally surprised at how indignant some of you are suggesting that this can't be a place for some freshwater information.
The reasons are baffling too.
I see people posting that one more forum on the list would be confusing.
Do they realize that R2R has hundreds of different sub forums ( categories, different sections).
I counted,
67 different forums
3 different spots for Local Reef Clubs with 3 pages of listings. Didn't count all the different clubs.
145 different sponsor forums
There is another forum for Diamond sponsors
Another forum for R2R giveaways and contests
A couple groups for Parner Members

So how is one more sub forum going to confuse people or dilute the saltwater information?

Do some of think freshwater is for children, or is beneath you?

I voted that I don't care either way.
I don't have a pressing need for freshwater information or discussion, but I wouldn't care if it was here.
As long as there is an option to unsubscribe from the forum, I'm ok.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had some slight urging to add a Freshwater Category here. How do you all feel about it?

PS. We could keep the FW threads and posts from showing in recent posts to those that don't want to see them.
Yes it would be cool. There aren't any good freshwater forums and plus most people here started with a freshwater or still has one with their reef!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back