Do the members want a Freshwater Forum here?

Would you like a Freshwater forum here on R2R?

• YES

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • NO

Votes: 73 46.8%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 39 25.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how you added it it would change how I look at the forum. If I could opt out of it showing on new post that would be great. My method now is to check out the chemistry forum then look a new post if there was a bunch of stuff there I was not interested in I would skip the new post part.

Tactical Reefkeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not care I am fine with them have there own app but if you put them in reef 2 reef that does not make sense and there are plenty of freshwater forums out there.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a lifelong freshwater guy, I immediately said yes. Thinking about it and seeing some other responses I am not so sure. If you could keep it separate it would be good, like an option to see the posts or not. I had some form of fish tank for most of my life. I've bred freshwater fish, saltwater fish, corals. Total reef experience is about 17 years, and I am glad to have this site and reef tanks again. I still have freshwater tanks too but those are getting phased out. There are three that will remain with me though and coming to one spot if enough interest would be nice. On the topic of reptiles.....been there too.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think adding a separate part of the app completely dedicated to freshwater would be great, because it can help out so much people! Just, like you said I would make a whole different section for freshwater, because there are minor differences, and you don't want some freshwater keeper giving info that works for their FW aquarium, to a begginer saltwater keeper that could possibly hurt their tank.
Or start a new site called Fresh2Fresh.com

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feel like it’s gonna be a domino effect. Then next dogs and cats form.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one more thing let’s just say somebody gets a fish medic badge. There would have to be two badges. One would be saltwater, fish, medic, and freshwater fish medic?

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one more thing let’s just say somebody gets a fish medic badge. There would have to be two badges. One would be saltwater, fish, medic, and freshwater fish medic?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and a Bacon forum too...

My two cents is that it sounds like a decent idea on the surface, but creates all kinds of issues. Confusion, cross posts, a different mindset, etc. Market place confusion, FW advertisers wanting ad space, etc. It is a can of worms. You can't be everything to everyone and tyring often means less attention to what is (was) working. There are plenty of freshwater resources, no need for another. If you and people here really want a FW forum, then build one on a different domain.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved the idea at first, but also agree that this feels like it could be its own forum site, or at the bare minimum a subdomain here. Speaking to advertising (as that's my wheelhouse), it would draw it's own ad slots and sponsorships, I'd imagine.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sister site idea personally (and you could even include a link from one to the other on each) - like others, I worry adding it as a forum here would cause unnecessary confusion/would erode the purpose of Reef2Reef, but offering it as a separate sister site built similarly to this one could be useful.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of posts that start with “I’ve had freshwater tanks for years and I did everything right to cycle this saltwater tank but it’s still not cycled”. Will probably only double. Nothing bad to say about freshwater, I have freshwater tanks too but a lot of what you do for freshwater doesn’t work for salt and vice versa so I think there is just room for people having access to even more confounding information.

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because I agree the best option would be a sister site/app. I think it would be very useful for new hobbyists, who maybe will eventually want to transition over to salt!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back