Do we need more protein skimming with less live rock or less protein skimming with more live rock?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of live rock #1, skimmer #2 and no water changes #3(4.5+ years since last one) just wanted to turn that wrench a bit more!
20210513_154816.jpg
I think im going to try turning wrench a little further with water changes in my system. Only thing I worry about is the trace elements and not knowing what needs to be replenished.
I do think having good bioload in water column has been helping keep system clean tremendously

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im going to try turning wrench a little further with water changes in my system. Only thing I worry about is the trace elements and not knowing what needs to be replenished.
I do think having good bioload in water column has been helping keep system clean tremendously
Reef moonshiners!!!!
Its my next step too.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef moonshiners!!!!
Its my next step too.
At this rate you guys will have me sending in water samples, setting up apex and trident or 3, reef moonshining, Building 5 more tanks etc hahaha
Its cool ive already notified the wife hahaha

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this rate you guys will have me sending in water samples, setting up apex and trident or 3, reef moonshining, Building 5 more tanks etc hahaha
Its cool ive already notified the wife hahaha
Its ok. Mine feels the same way.
She tells me i should have married all my reefing buddies instead....

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its ok. Mine feels the same way.
She tells me i should have married all my reefing buddies instead....
Lol I bet if rev did a poll we would find that most reefers significant others say the same exact thing. Cant tell you how many times. She secretly loves it though

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer and a quality maricultured or wild live rock. Our systems should live decades if not centuries but to do so the right microbial processes have to be maintained. (Just like sustaining our our own health or sustainable farming.) It is true some coral species can become sexually mature in a few years but many may take decades. We think keeping a ssytem for a few years is a success but it's more like keeping a puppy of kitten a few months. We still are a long way from understanding the microbial cycles in our systems but using techniques that have been proven to skew these microbial processes dosen't strike me as wise or sustainable.

The cryptic zones and sponges on reefs have been shown to process the labile DOC 1000X faster than the bacterioplankton. This DOC they process is put back into the food webs in forms we can't test for. In light of this I can't help but think the success attributed to skimmers and their removal of bacterioplankton is actually due to the sponges in a system which are working so much faster.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back