Can I add more live rock?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have discovered a couple areas in my tank where the rock work needs a bit more stability. I am thinking about adding a couple more small, strategically placed pieces of live rock. Can I do this without any issues?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have discovered a couple areas in my tank where the rock work needs a bit more stability. I am thinking about adding a couple more small, strategically placed pieces of live rock. Can I do this without any issues?
Sure, but what are you going to use? Epoxy seems workable, but not permanent. Mortar might get messy for your tank creatures.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added entire rock structures to different areas within my tanks using reef safe epoxy. The trick for me was to make sure that I really worked the epoxy into the crevices of both the new rock and existing structure. Didn’t have any issues with kicking into a mini cycle but this can happen depending on how you source your live rock so be careful with that. What’s your total water volume and approximately how much rock were you thinking of adding?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can add live rock at any time and assuming it wasn't shipped and needs to cure for a bit to deal with any die off, you should have no worries.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added entire rock structures to different areas within my tanks using reef safe epoxy. The trick for me was to make sure that I really worked the epoxy into the crevices of both the new rock and existing structure. Didn’t have any issues with kicking into a mini cycle but this can happen depending on how you source your live rock so be careful with that. What’s your total water volume and approximately how much rock were you thinking of adding?
Total volume is about 80 gallons. There is currently about 75 pounds of live rock in there. I am thinking about adding maybe 5 more pounds.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total volume is about 80 gallons. There is currently about 75 pounds of live rock in there. I am thinking about adding maybe 5 more pounds.
I think you should be fine. I doubt you’ll have major spikes with that water volume and existing amount of rock. The tank should be able to handle it no problem.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Should be no issues.
Maybe do a water change and use a gravel vac near the rock in the tank you plan on moving to add the new rock. Try and clean the area up a little before moving anything?
Detritus gets trapped next to and under rock in our tanks and moving existing rock can release alot of uneaten food/detritus.
IDK, may be just a waste of time, but water changes and cleaning never hurts.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back