Do Xenia's sting other corals?

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone observed Xenia's stinging and injuring other corals that they were touching? I had a nice size purple Monti cap and some Xenia started growing on a rock next to it; eventually some of the Xenia were touching one edge along 1" or so of the Monti, but I paid no attention to it. The next thing I know, there's a white (dead) patch on the Monti about 2" x 2" right next to where the Xenia were touching that Monti's edge. And within a week or two, the whole Monti is now about dead (almost all white). Anyone seen this or heard of this before? Thanks

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine stung some palys, but they just moved out of the way. I didn't notice any die off.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen Xenia sting when growing around a monti cap. Even if it did the whole monti shouldn't be dying just the fringes where the Xenia touched it but I haven't encountered it stinging corals.

OP
OP
RobertN

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that some folks do think it can sting. I didn't know that before a couple people told me they had that experience with them. And after seeing what has happened, I don't know what else it could be, based on the location of the Xenia and the initial dead spot on the Monti.....and then how the dead area spread. Someone at a local LFS said they thought it could have caused injury on the edge which led to infection and then the infection spread because I didn't break off the infected portion while it was still very localized. I was curious to hear if there was some corroboration from others here at R2R.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back