Do you capture your tanks progression?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I removed my bubble gum digi colony to make room for something "cooler". When I was done I thought, my tank has had a couple different looks / layouts of coral, and that I failed at capturing the progression and stages this tank goes through.

Do you capture your tanks progression over the months / years? If so let's see some some time lapse pictures.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I removed my bubble gum digi colony to make room for something "cooler". When I was done I thought, my tank has had a couple different looks / layouts of coral, and that I failed at capturing the progression and stages this tank goes through.

Do you capture your tanks progression over the months / years? If so let's see some some time lapse pictures.
working on that in my build thread...

as the years go by, I'll have more photos

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the early stages, 6 months in and just buying corals now, but I have every intention to catalog success and failures alike of which that would include cataloging growth.
I think that is the measure of success in the hobby, showing sustained growth even in the face of failures.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captured many pics on my iPhone with clip on aquarium lens. Now need to start organizing and cataloging those pics!

5C5F958B-AB14-4874-85DA-B05DEB2AA2FB.jpeg
26CE984F-0ADC-4149-AD06-EE0C08375EE8.jpeg

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with 2 part but switched to calcium reactor.
At what point did you move to a calk reactor? What was the criteria for the move.
I built a dual stage regulator and I have a controller but I have no real need now for it.
I was thinking of starting a two part and when the need arose then switch over when the demand called for it.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a large part of why I keep a build thread. It's a great reference point when you had to deal with something in the past, but can't quite remember how you went about it.
In addition, I keep a detailed daily journal on Aquarium notes a free Aquarium app.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what point did you move to a calk reactor? What was the criteria for the move.
I built a dual stage regulator and I have a controller but I have no real need now for it.
I was thinking of starting a two part and when the need arose then switch over when the demand called for it.
Switched when the 2 part started precipitating. Dosing 150ml each of 2 part daily was too much for 90g.

Growth was faster with 2 part but lost a favorite torch due to precipitation. Definitely trade offs. Was able to keep higher ph (8.45) with 2 part. Now only get to 8.3 and running through CO2 media much faster even though recirculate air through skimmer cup. But I haven’t touched CaRX in 2 months now.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched when the 2 part started precipitating. Dosing 150ml each of 2 part daily was too much for 90g.

Growth was faster with 2 part but lost a favorite torch due to precipitation. Definitely trade offs. Was able to keep higher ph (8.45) with 2 part. Now only get to 8.3 and running through CO2 media much faster even though recirculate air through skimmer cup. But I haven’t touched CaRX in 2 months now.
Which reactor do you use, looking through those now to see which one I'll buy.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which reactor do you use, looking through those now to see which one I'll buy.

VarioS CR140 5.5" DC Calcium Reactor - Reef Octopus.​

Did add a second cheap chamber to add Alk/Calc and reduce CO2.
E80ED35B-8574-4872-8F82-F18238690E47.jpeg
2B74A025-28FE-478E-85D9-07DAB32DA8A8.jpeg

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Having a build thread here has been a great way to capture my progression. I've used it a few times when trying to investigate strange goings on in my tank. I also use a free phone app called Aquarium Note to record important events (everything from new livestock to unusually large water changes and changes in media). I would definitely encourage new reef keepers to find some way to track their tank. It can be so helpful when you're trying to figure out where the dinos came from or why your corals are all pouting.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back