Do you consider yourself to be "A Real Reefer" and what does that look like?

Do you consider yourself to be a "Real Reefer" at this point in your hobby journey?

• YES a real reefer because I can grow coral

Votes: 178 43.7%
  • YES a real reefer because I can keep coral alive

Votes: 84 20.6%
  • YES a real reefer because I have a reef aquarium

Votes: 96 23.6%
  • NO but I am on my way to being a real reefer

Votes: 96 23.6%
  • NO and never will be

Votes: 28 6.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 29 7.1%

• Total voters

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After > 50 years of Reefing, I might be a “real reefer”. At the very least, I am “old school”.

@Paul B where do you see yourself in this discussion? Inquiring minds want to know!

OG Reef Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different levels of progression in keeping reef tanks and growing coral long term. A real reefer is someone who has enough of an understanding of the hobby that they can be successful whenever they choose to set up a new system. It doesn't mean there won't still be the occasional problem, but they know how to address the problems based on experience/knowledge.

Tamie77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I know that I am still learning and will be forever, I think I can consider myself a successful reefer. Last weekend I had to trim down some of my coral. Considering the prices of a one inch acro frag, I estimate that I threw out over a $1000 in digit, milli and montipora. It was very sad but I don’t have my grow out tank setup yet and my local LFSs aren’t interested in trades or even free inventory
I know that Monti-caps grow fast but man did it hurt to break up this colony.

FF704565-CE88-44C3-9B55-C42B1941BC42.jpeg
00139FA5-095E-46F8-9A38-11E26BCFBD39.jpeg
Do you still have them? That bottom picture, the purple and the green, ohhhh I wish I could have taken it for you !

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I know that I am still learning and will be forever, I think I can consider myself a successful reefer. Last weekend I had to trim down some of my coral. Considering the prices of a one inch acro frag, I estimate that I threw out over a $1000 in digit, milli and montipora. It was very sad but I don’t have my grow out tank setup yet and my local LFSs aren’t interested in trades or even free inventory
I know that Monti-caps grow fast but man did it hurt to break up this colony.

FF704565-CE88-44C3-9B55-C42B1941BC42.jpeg
00139FA5-095E-46F8-9A38-11E26BCFBD39.jpeg
The next time take a pic with the Coral still in tact.....circle the piece you are trimming and post it for sale. This way some one can come over and pick it up and you at least won't be throwing out coral, (and can make a couple of bucks). That Monti cap is a beautiful centerpiece in someone's tank. Or.....is there a large aquarium where you live? Sometimes you can donate it to them.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would say that a reefer is first and foremost just someone who loves the hobby. But a real reefer is dedicated. Takes the time to work with their tanks. Experiments with new things. They don’t have to be perfect. They can be newbies or old hats. Not just someone who bought a tank, but someone who cares about what’s in it enough to sacrifice the time to care for the inhabitants. I love my fishies.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's a question you can only answer yourself based on your own expectations. I don't think a "real reefer" is a thing. I think "reefers in training" is more a more accurate description even for the reefing "masters".

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I consider myself a real reefer. Why? Because I have spent thousands of dollars in lost corals yet I continue to keep trying.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose other. Not sure what a real reefer would be.

We always say "to each his own".

If you like your tank and it has coral in it then you are a real reefer.

I seen a beautiful 40 gallon tank in person that had only mushrooms and a FEW softies. I was surprised because I walked in the room and there it was. The owner had a vision and was able to place things just right for the eye appeal. I couldn't stop staring at it. I have a fair amount of SPS in my tank and I was envious. It was stunning. She was truly a talented artist and it showed.

So was she not a real reefer? I think she was.

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had more disposable income i would definitely go all out. But I can keep them alive and they grow and split so it's a good start. But I have learned so much the past couple years and just wish I had the capital to do something epic.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly out of context, but a reefer to me is more than a person keeping corals and fish, no matter how successful he or she is.
A reefer is patient, hardworking, helpful, willing to sacrifice time, not afraid to ask how or why, puts the well being of his animals as a priority, and is humble to some extent. A reefer lacking any of these attributes (which I learned them all from R2R) is not a “real” reefer in my opinion.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen some gorgeous tanks, lively reef related conversations and countless blue thumbed dorks on this forum. If you all are not "real reefers"... then, who is?

ComfortRacing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm good question, some people base it on successes, , some base it on the tank size and some base it on your equipment or the amount of money you have spent on it, but i feel the real answer is that it is based on shear Passion” for the hobby.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back