Do you even Ozone bro? Should you?

Do you run an Ozone Generator on your reef aquarium?

• Yes

Votes: 60 9.2%
  • No

Votes: 452 69.5%
  • Not sure what that is

Votes: 131 20.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So we had a member who wanted us to talk about Ozone Generators in our QOTD and I think it will make an excellent discussion! What is an Ozone Generator? Well I'm glad you asked and here is a nice brief description from Bulk Reef Supply.

Using Ozone will have many benefits in the aquarium:
  • Healthier corals and increased polyp extension due to the oxidation and breakdown of corals defensive toxins
  • Consistently clear water and proper light penetration due to the oxidation and breakdown of color pigments
  • Increased skimmer efficiency due to ozone causing waste particle to attract each other creating larger easier to filter particles
  • Oxidation and breakdown of fish waste and uneaten food
So the questions are as follows:

1. Are you using an Ozone Generator on your aquarium and if so have you experienced the benefits?

2. What is your general overall thoughts on Ozone Generators?

ozone.jpg

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a long time ago but don't now. I have UV but wanted to try ozone again. Problem for me was having to use dry air and changing out the desiccant so often. Pain in the butt. Also, even though I had a carbon reactor for the off gas there was always the smell of ozone around the tank. I know ozone is very easy to detect by smell even at very low and safe concentrations but it was kind of annoying and the wife didn't like it.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using it. It isn't easy though. It takes some panning and maintenance to keep going. It breaks down some plastics.
I originally used a corona discharge generator that required dry air and changed to a UV type that doesn't.

Yes I can tell by looking at the tank when it isn't working.

Rick Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great powerful tool. However, make sure to use a Redox probe to measure ORP. New UV ones don't need air dryers, but you will need to replace bulbs.

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Ozone thru a skimmer - I was lazy and didn't filter the air through carbon. That stuff will give you the worst headaches.....
I noticed 0 difference when running one vs not running one; except for the smell in the garage. No difference to algae, skimmate, red slime, etc. Used it for a couple weeks then took it off. I did not find it effective in the system I tried it on.

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and here is a nice brief description from Bulk Reef Supply.

@revhtree the link only shows a listing of ozone generators for sale; no description of them.

From my perspective, it seems like the first two bullets are accomplished a lot easier by using carbon. Not to say an Ozone generator isn't worthwhile, but I have no room for another gadget anyway, LOL. Also, I use a UV sterilizer. Seems that and carbon accomplish a lot of what is desired with an ozone generator...
--Kyle

Last edited:

fishbulb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ozotech system set up and I use it. I use the automatic air dryer and use a pump to draw from that into the skimmer only when needed. So I don't have to manually recharge the decessant.

That being said, it's kind of a pain, it still kind of smells despite a few attempts to filter the air, and I'm not sure I'm seeing huge benefits. If I could do it all over again, I likely would not set up the system for ozone. Perhaps will a large fish room or a facility, it would make more sense, but on my 75g tank, it seems like unnecessary overkill. The tank is pretty clear when I do and when I don't run it. It's fairly expensive to set up as well. Of all my reef gear, it was probably the lowest bang for the buck. Not that it's bad, but just not the biggest pay out.

Just my experience,
FB

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone was commonly used on SW/Reef tanks 20 years ago …. not so much anymore. I used a Sanders ozonizer for a while in the 90's, but it was temperamental and not really worthwhile frankly. Needs a pain-to-maintain air dryer to work well and can degrade some plastics (killed my DiY skimmer). Frankly, there's nothing an ozonizer does that cannot be achieved better elsewhere. UV is better at sterilizing, carbon better at removing coloring agents, etc. Getting to acceptable ORP levels in a reef tank really isn't a problem with proper husbandry.

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want one for reducing the yellow coloration the Macroalgea release to the tank and the toxins from one of the coral but my aquarium is too small (7 gallon) to use one.
Am seriously considering it for when I upgrade to a bigger tank and have already an idea of having it run on a second sump with a very low water flow to allow the bacteria to degrade the side products before the water returns to the tank.

tdhnry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been itching to use it for years and I even purchased the equipment but never pulled the trigger. I'm able to control my ORP above 320 with just skimming.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an Oxydator which serves the same purpose essentially... and without the potential issues that ozone can create. If you're curious about ozone, I highly recommend reading up a bit on Oxydators. I have been running one for about 2.5 months and very happy with the results. Clear water, less algae growth (even nuisance), and many people claim several other benefits as well. Easy to use, no electricity, give it a look.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back