Do you ever just turn off your wavemaker or powerheads for a few days to mimik those super calm days in the ocean?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone ever does that just to give corals a break from hurricane force waves and just have a few calm days like they would have in ocean. I snorkeling in st thomas last year and there were literally no waves . The ocean was like a bath tub. Was in hawaii a few years back and same thing. A couple days were calm as can be. Maybe our corals in our footprint of the oceans might like that.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone ever does that just to give corals a break from hurricane force waves and just have a few calm days like they would have in ocean. I snorkeling in st thomas last year and there were literally no waves . The ocean was like a bath tub. Was in hawaii a few years back and same thing. A couple days were calm as can be. Maybe our corals in our footprint of the oceans might like that.
I wonder whether the turbulence in an aquarium is that bothersome to coral.

OP
OP
Seansea

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don’t think waves just stop. there is flow underwater?
No there litearally isnt any somedays. Like littel trickle waves on beach and the corals arent moving at all. good indication is sea fans cuz they sway in the slightest current and ive seen them standing straight up.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I sit looking at my reef, my coral pegged to there skeleton, fish pushing up against the glass trying to move, sand flying all around, hmm never thought about giving them a break. Maybe I'll try it......

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t dare do that. Our tanks are not the ocean at all! We have more fish per square foot, which can deplete oxygen quickly. In addition, corals, especially SPS, need high flow to rid themselves from the toxic byproduct of photosynthesis.

I’ve heard tank crashes just because the flow died out in a power outage for a few hours. Maybe I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t do it to be safe.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
mine is continuous

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea that not every day on the reef is a sunny day but I will let others trailblaze in this area.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tide? There is always tide its on a cycle . You may have witnessed slack tide which is the little time before incoming and outgoing . It depends where you are , moon cycles but i mean theres always usually some sort of current long term

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wind isn't the only mover of water. Currents and tides get a vote. We still drift on a dead nuts calm day when fishing in the gulf, and often the current is moving in a different direction than the wind is blowing.

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not turn it off, return always going, minus water changes. But I’ll switch up the type or intensity sometimes for fun.

There’s always tidal motion in the sea, even with no wind waves.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wind isn't the only mover of water. Currents and tides get a vote. We still drift on a dead nuts calm day when fishing in the gulf, and often the current is moving in a different direction than the wind is blowing.
Did you just say that the moon is a hologram?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know that the corals /like/ those calm days, is the thing. Just because something happens in nature doesn't mean the nature benefits.

(Maybe they do like it, I don't know, but it's not a given that they do.)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. Check out the video below during the daylight hours and see if it stops :) But on a more serious note I do turn down my flow during lights off. I will also throw the flow into chaos / nutrient export for a bit as well.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back