Do You Ever Turn Off The Lights For a Couple Days?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Reefers! I was just wondering if anyone regularly turns off their lights for a day or two? I just had to do it recently, and my coral actually look better! I was thinking of maybe doing it monthly now.

saltytanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just your eyes and your brain.

Turning off lights for a few days does nothing for coral health, maybe dimmer lighting, but off, no…

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just your eyes and your brain.

Turning off lights for a few days does nothing for coral health, maybe dimmer lighting, but off, no…
Hmm, maybe I should get my new script for glasses.
So I can put you down as a “No” then?

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, maybe I should get my new script for glasses.
So I can put you down as a “No” then?

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+
Perhaps the lower alkalinity consumption increased the amount in the water? However, in reality I would guess its just because it was dim and drab for a few days, then POW!!.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the lower alkalinity consumption increased the amount in the water? However, in reality I would guess its just because it was dim and drab for a few days, then POW!!.
That’s actually why I had them off. My Apex went out and my tanks weren’t getting dosed while I was at work. So I turned the lights off to maintain alk until the new unit came in. What I was referring to is increased polyp extension on my sps, though.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s actually why I had them off. My Apex went out and my tanks weren’t getting dosed while I was at work. So I turned the lights off to maintain alk until the new unit came in. What I was referring to is increased polyp extension on my sps, though.
pH changed?

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH changed?
Yeah. It is usually around 8.2 in both my sps tanks at peak photo period. But with lights off it stays around 8. Back to normal now though.

plippert21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never tried it but certainly an interesting idea.

What would be the hypothesis for coral benefiting from a day or two without lights?

Maybe one is having the lights off allowed them to feed for a longer period of time which in turn benefited them.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never tried it but certainly an interesting idea.

What would be the hypothesis for coral benefiting from a day or two without lights?

Maybe one is having the lights off allowed them to feed for a longer period of time which in turn benefited them.
Not sure if any benefit at all, really. Just curious if anyone did this. I’m not really suggesting it, just more of a casual observation and question.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Reefers! I was just wondering if anyone regularly turns off their lights for a day or two? I just had to do it recently, and my coral actually look better! I was thinking of maybe doing it monthly now.
Interesting. “Looks better” needs elaboration though for understanding what was gained. Also, could the lights be too bright and your coral got a chance to recover from a slight case of photo inhibition?

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it during to he ugly stage to get rid of Dino’s but can’t really see a reason to do o it now in fact I run moon lights for a few hours each nite

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to this would be my thoughts - the corals may be trying to feed more since the zooxanthellae aren't getting as much light/producing as much energy.

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would think its more a behavior response than a reaction to water chemistry - sometimes a cigar is just a cigar ;)
It would make sense that the 'reaching' is a feeding response and/or a response to a photoperiod.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back