do you feed earthworms?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never tried earthworms. I’ve only ever cultured black worms and white worms, with white significantly being the better option IMO.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I get a picture of some of the worms you guys are feeding? Where do you source them from (pulling out of your backyard, bait and tackle stores, etc.)?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get a picture of some of the worms you guys are feeding? Where do you source them from (pulling out of your backyard, bait and tackle stores, etc.)?
Mine are just your standard garden compost earthworms I originally got from the soil.

I used to culture African Dwarf Red Earthworms way back in the day to feed freshwater fish.

Last edited:

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to mimic the food an indo pacific reef would receive in nature. Earthworms are never part of that food cycle so I dont use them. Great for my freshwater axolotl however.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to mimic the food an indo pacific reef would receive in nature. Earthworms are never part of that food cycle so I dont use them. Great for my freshwater axolotl however.

Not quite correct. Any inshore reef will have a minor influx of terrestrial insects, worms, etc. (~3% from corals studied), especially after storms/typhoons. Isolated oceanic reefs, rarely if ever.

Being relatively high in protein and low in fat, the nutrition profile of earthworms is one of the better terrestrial choices IMO/IME...but in moderation (I feed sparingly, only once a week).

If you can supply live marine food items, then that would be optimal.

Last edited:

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to feed fresh water fish well cleaned tubifex worms, earthworms, night crawlers and even dry cat food. Mostly cichlids. Had reverse undergravel filter and the uneaten earthworms would actual live under the undergravel filter. I have never fed earthworms to any of my saltwater tanks as I had heard they were not healthy. If I had known they were then I would have used them when I had larger fish. Now I would have to either give very small ones or chop them up. At one time I was actually planning on farming earthworms.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back