Earthworms as Food

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Night crawlers. dirty full sand and gravel ect , kinda moldy smell , decent food , taKe the time to clean , a good scissors small and container for rinse , fish will get sick of them lol
I feed them because of the sand, gravel, moldy, stuff inside them. I don't clean them at all.
 
Paul got me using them for my anemones and the fish eat them. I made a worm tub
IMG_0267.jpeg
 
I have one worm left so I hope it rains tomorrow morning. I never thought I would hear me saying that! :anguished-face:
 
I have a worm farm for composting so I might try this and see who's interested. Most of my fish are on the smaller side but I reckon my flame hawk would have a go.
 
Coffee grounds on a paper plate in yard = nightcrawler bonanza. Grandma's fishing worm collection method. Also had two metal rods with wooden handles... that plugged into 120V. Suff them into the ground and the little buggers come top the surface to get away from the tingle.... the "safe" things that used to be sold in the 20's through the 60's or so. ;)

Like this
1710258486980.png

Metal rods is also how we used to collect worms prior to fishing trips. As a young kid we had a blast collecting and it was the highlight of the weekend.

As it relates to food - I guess. To me it is nothing more than gut load as these are not part of the animals normal food chain. Sort of strikes me as just because we can should we...
 
That may be a great food source. But I only will give my fish what they would eat in the wild. If it works, then cool for you.
I would imagine that everyone feeds their live stock food that they would never eat in the wild and leave food out that they would eat, including yourself. It just is what it is.
 
Metal rods is also how we used to collect worms prior to fishing trips. As a young kid we had a blast collecting and it was the highlight of the weekend.

As it relates to food - I guess. To me it is nothing more than gut load as these are not part of the animals normal food chain. Sort of strikes me as just because we can should we...
All we can do is try and give our charges the nutrition that they need, in what ever way that we can. If he has been doing it for 50+ years then that is good enough for me. I agree that just because we can doesn't necessarily mean we should. Feeder goldfish is a prime example.
 
I have been using Earthworms as food for all sorts of animals since the fifties. (yes that was last century and the earth was here then) Frogs, turtles, snakes and a variety of other animals love worms and they form a large part of the diet of many animals.

For some reason we as aquarists rarely use or even discuss this great and "free" food and IMO one of the best and healthiest foods out there.
Besides worms having the proper nutrients. They also contain soil and soil is full of bacteria. I feel this bacteria is sorely needed in this hobby because the vast majority of food we use is commercially packaged and sold as food. There is "almost" nothing wrong with commercial fish food, I use commercial frozen food myself but commercial food may have one huge problem. It usually has no live gut bacteria and gut bacteria is what makes almost 100% the immunity of fish. Yes, many commercial foods contain Pro Biotics and that is for another thread.

If you read any of my threads (no, you don't have to) I am very big on gut bacteria and how it is vital to immunity. I believe that is also why this week my reef made it to 53 years old and nothing in my tank has ever been quarantined or medicated for at least the last 45 years.

Just two days ago I took my morning walk in the rain. There were worms all over the place which is unusual for the wintertime in New York, but it was warm. I collected 5 or 6 worms. I have 3 Red Waspfish and they are finicky eaters and many times are just to slow to get any food. They are predators and can eat large food so don't have to be fed every day but they do have to eat.



I chopped up a worm into half inch pieces shown below.
Using one of these, I shot a worm near my Waspfish and he immediately "woke up" and sucked up the worm. Normally I have to hit him on the head with a piece of clam multiple times to let him know it is feeding time, but earthworms, blackworms or I imagine, any worm makes them go crazy. The biggest problem is keeping the other fish away but using that "baster" that I made, I can just about put the food in the fishes mouth.



Earthworms are also excellent food for anemones and crabs. I can't think of an aquatic animal besides pipefish and seahorses that won't eat worms.
I can and always have depended on worms for hard to feed creatures and they are almost always available and large amounts of them can be collected and kept for long periods of time as long as they are kept damp


Quote:

Abstract​

Earthworms have been a traditional medicine in China for at least 2300 years. Because of medicine food homology in China, people have been using earthworms as a food for several centuries. Earthworms are rich in protein and various amino acids; the protein content of earthworm meal was 54.6–59.4% on dry weight. Their protein content and amino acid composition are better than those of fish meal, cow milk and soybean meal. The crude fat content of earthworm meal was 7.34%. Earthworm protein is easily hydrolyzed into free amino acids. The hydrolyzed body fluids contain 9.34% protein and 78.73 mg of free amino acids per liter of raw fluid and are rich in vitamins and minerals. By the fast development of molecular biological techniques, more Verm pharmaceuticals and functional components were isolated from earthworms. An antibacterial peptide and a functional earthworm powder were introduced in this paper. In short, based on its nutrient content and functional components, earthworms could be an excellent raw material source as homology of medicine and food for human use, especially as functional food in the future.


Earthworms.JPG
I'll have to try this, I dig it. ;) I grow mealworms for my fw tanks. I also have a good colony of black soldier fly larvae in our compost bins. Our goldfish live them.
What are your thoughts on those two grubs for sw fish?
Also, for mealworms with my smaller fish tanks since they can't swallow them whole, I open the lid and hold the mealworm and cut it with kitchen shears (dedicated tank scissors) over the tank. Bits and guts drop in and the fish go nuts. With fry and small fish, I pop the mealworms and squeeze them so the guts kind of defuse in the tank.
 
What are your thoughts on those two grubs for sw fish?
Mealworms are beetle larvae and their shell is chitin (I think) so useless for salt water fish. The same with soldier flys. Maybe Navy flys if there is such a thing. :cool: Stick to worms, or shellfish
 
I haven’t thought of using worms before. I already get red wigglers from the pet shop for my leaf turtle. I’ll try them out in the reef tank.

I will stick with farmed worms. I don’t risk any sort of contamination of pesticide, parasite or anything else with my turtle and I won’t with the fish either.
 
I feed frozen bloodworms occasionally. I wonder if live would have some benefit?

I've heard of others using earthworms before. I've always been a little wary about parasites, even though I wouldn't expect anything that lives in an earthworm to survive salt but it's just an unknown.

Mealworms are beetle larvae and their shell is chitin (I think) so useless for salt water fish. The same with soldier flys. Maybe Navy flys if there is such a thing. :cool: Stick to worms, or shellfish
Now I'm wondering if waxworms might be an option. Maybe a bit expensive for the calories though.
 
Mealworms are beetle larvae and their shell is chitin (I think) so useless for salt water fish. The same with soldier flys. Maybe Navy flys if there is such a thing. :cool: Stick to worms, or shellfish
Yes, mealworms ate the larval form of the darkling beetle and their exoskeleton is chitinous as is the black soldier fly larvae exoskeleton. But then, that's what the exo skeleton is of crustaceans such as copepods we feed. Yes, the forms I'm talking about are bigger and tougher, but is still the same base material as far as i can tell. Whole, they are intimidating to small fish, which is why I chop them up into little bits, then the fish munch them down. Mysis shrimp exo is also chitin. My understanding in the fw world at least, that stuff is like roughage to their digestive tract.

That being said, I'm definitely giving earthworms a shot tomorrow. I presume I dig em up, rinse em off, and fee them to the tank in appropriate bite sizes so I'll give that a whack!
 
I feed frozen bloodworms occasionally. I wonder if live would have some benefit?

I've heard of others using earthworms before. I've always been a little wary about parasites, even though I wouldn't expect anything that lives in an earthworm to survive salt but it's just an unknown.


Now I'm wondering if waxworms might be an option. Maybe a bit expensive for the calories though.
I raise dubia roaches to feed to a bearded dragon. I tried to feed a tiny one to a pair of big sebae clowns. The clown hit the roach as soon as it hit the water, but spat it straight back out. I actually picked the roach out of the water and it seemed fine, so I put it back in the roach farm. It immediately ran into hiding (it's what they do).
 
I started doing this recently. My Copperband Loves them!
the earthworm??? but they're very big compare to the small mouth of the copperband, aren't they? I mean that's cool but i have to ask to make sure we're talking about the earthworm
 
I buy earthworms from a local pet store for my box turtles. Farm raised specific for pets. I feed my anemone one every now and then. I've never tried them for fish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new