Do you have Earthquake plans in place for your reef aquarium?

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most likely threat to an aquarium, other than something like a heater malfunction, is extended power loss. You really can't protect against an earthquake. What are you going to do--install steel straps throughout the room? A significant earthquake is likely to crack or the aquarium, or even bust it open. You can't protect against that. You do what you can to address what is reasonable.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! Thanks! You can do the same in CA when you get that rare so called 1 inch snow storm and you all run out for your milk and bread! “Alaska guy” you’re f@&ed lol

Ha.

Unlike most, I'm not from Southern California. Massachusetts actually, so snow issues I don't worry about too much. Also lived in Chicago & Denver. Bring on the snow, lol.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just before it hit, the poor dog was crying for no reason. The whole house shook, stuff fell off shelves. Then, went to check on the tanks.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's an earthquake big enough to do damage in Florida the last thing I'm going to be concerned with is my tank.
This. If it's a catastrophic earthquake an aquarium is the least of my problems. We treat it just the same as those that are hurricane bait or live in tornado Alley. You prep the best you can but be prepared and acceptant for the worse.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I live in socal, but I'm not sure there's much to be done to prep other than make sure your stand is solid. I figure if an earthquake is strong enough to take out my tank, it'll probably do a number on the rest of my house as well.

Remi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived several earthquakes, 2 at 7 (a bit far) and 1 at 8 100km from epicentre. Nothing can be done against mother nature. Last one I lived 2 weeks in the street so tank or not it would have been doomed.

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the difference is you get them all the time and are used to them! When we get them it’s a rare event and something that shocks us because we don’t live in an area prone to them and usually they aren’t felt if they do happen.
East USA rock is also older and denser, shaking travels farther than it would out west with the same magnitude.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, a 4.8 earthquake = free random flow generator! Now if we were to get hit with a 9 or 10 earthquake, it might be time to grab the surfboard and ride out the crashing tank because the rest of the day is going to suck.:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's an earthquake big enough to do damage in Florida the last thing I'm going to be concerned with is my tank.
To be honest, this is the main issue. People who are like “we are not used to getting them in East coast”. Believe me, if there is an east cost earthquake large enough to cause issues with your aquarium, that would be least of your worries.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5154.jpeg

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live near the New Madrid fault, but have only seen a couple of earthquakes in over 50 years. Not something I plan for. Tornadoes on the other hand...

I do have a neat earthquake story. (At least I think so) There was a 5.4 quake here about 15 years ago. I slept through it and missed the whole thing. However, the next morning I was in a conference call with someone about 70 miles east of here when an aftershock happened.

There was just enough time for the folks on the other end of the call to ask "What was that?", and for me to reply "Must have been an aftershock" before it hit their office. We were all engineers and started talking about the calculations we could make based on time and distance :cool:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back