Do you leave your glass scrapper in the tank all the time?

AcroNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question

What is the consensus on leaving the magnetic algae scrappers in the tank, attached to the front glass, for long periods of time?
Is this ok or not?

Concerns - will corraline grow on the scraping pad or plastic scrapper and scratch the glass eventually? Will any metal blades degrade faster?
I keep mine inside the tank, but i really shouldnt, stuff can grow on the knife and scratch the glass.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are children who might help you clean the tank then I would not leave it there where it can be used without adult supervision. I have seen too many tanks scratched deeply by magnets that hit the bottom and turned into a scouring pad. Adults who help might be worse. A snail or limpet that is hiding on the tool can also do damage before it is found.
The magnet is also soaked in seawater and may start to corrode and pollute the water with out causing a scratch.

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say always REMOVE. Some non-aquarist person will inevitably grab it and start playing with it. They get close to the sand bottom and then you have scratches everywhere.

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to hope water doesn't find its way in and start rusting the magnet. I've had a few i took out for cleaning that smelt like sulfur. I no longer keep them in.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did when I got my first one, then noticed one day my Tunze Care magnet split open because the salt water crept in the epoxy and it was literally rusting. The inside part swelled enough to almost cause my glass to get scratched.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back