Do you mix your saltwater the night before a water change?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on which salt you are using. Some mix faster than others and some store better than others. Tropic Marin Pro mixes fast and stores for months without crude building up. It's why I chose it, besides the fact it's pharmaceutical grade salt. I typically heat up the water to the temperature of the tank and add salt. I let it mix with a powerhead for about 4 hours. gl
I’m in a similar situation as @S.Pepper I use TM salts as they review really well in terms of ease of mixing, consistency of ingredients throughout the bucket (no settling or separation), stability for storage, and quality of ingredients.

I typically make enough RODI to cover a water change and enough for top off for the week. I heat the water as it’s being made. Take out the top off water and then add salt. I usually let the saltwater circulate for a few hours but normally it’s used within 12 hours or so. But I know that TM saltwater can be stored and not degrade over time.

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be mixing my own salt water can you tell me how much salt to use per Gallon I’m getting Red Sea salt now but don’t see how much per gallon on pail ?? Maybe I’m blind ???
Thanks guys
Mine is about a cup per 5 gallons. You have to play with it testing SpG and you will come up with an amount that suits your volume WC.

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a similar situation as @S.Pepper I use TM salts as they review really well in terms of ease of mixing, consistency of ingredients throughout the bucket (no settling or separation), stability for storage, and quality of ingredients.

I typically make enough RODI to cover a water change and enough for top off for the week. I heat the water as it’s being made. Take out the top off water and then add salt. I usually let the saltwater circulate for a few hours but normally it’s used within 12 hours or so. But I know that TM saltwater can be stored and not degrade over time.

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix mine in bulk once every 2 weeks when I do a water change I'll mix typically with some powerheads for 3-6 hours. Then let 5-10 gallons sit in reserve for the week.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I with ya, but I have about 40 gallons of ro/di water in a brute. With winter coming and having to make my ro/di water in the garage, i'm hoping to only have to top it off every 2 weeks by making about 10 gallons or so. It all sounds good in theory; we'll see how it works in practice. :D gl

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be mixing my own salt water can you tell me how much salt to use per Gallon I’m getting Red Sea salt now but don’t see how much per gallon on pail ?? Maybe I’m blind ???
Thanks guys
I use Red Sea blue bucket. 1/2 cup per gallon mixes at 1.026. Been mixing it like this for a couple of years now. This ratio gives me consistent readings.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mix mine in bulk once every 2 weeks when I do a water change I'll mix typically with some powerheads for 3-6 hours. Then let 5-10 gallons sit in reserve for the week.
Cool! No precipitation or ill effects?

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been mixing mine the night before, setting salinity first, then placing bucket in a covered brute can with heater, and power head. In the morning, I double check salinity and temp, make adjustments if necessary, then do the change.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a marinemix with added organics like vitamins or a carbon source needs to be used promptly. I just add three cups to five gallons and churn it up with a large pump for usually < an hour.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually mix up 60 gallons at a time.. comically overkill for a 65gdt.. lol
I try to have it heated and mixing for two days before use, then I store it cold and stagnant with a brief remix before the next water change. If it were to be a big WC, I'd re-heat it as well, but 10% doesn't swing my temp even a half degree.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back