Do you name your fish or inverts?

Do you name your fishy friends?

• Nope,I have a hard time remembering my kids names.

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Yep,every single one.

Votes: 41 60.3%
  • If i had fish i would.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I only keep corals.

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the idea for this thread after looking at ny cavemans build thread " I received a box of rocks today".If you have not read it please take the time to do so.In it he mentions his kids argued over what name to give the latest addition a midas blenny.i'm not sure how the argument ended but it got me thinking.How many reefers actually name the livestock they have?I can only remember naming one fish in all my years.It is a hippo tang I named after my sons fiancé when we first met her.I wanted her to feel welcome in our home and for some stupid reason I thought this would be a great way to do it.I'm guessing it worked sense she's still around and so is the fish after 6 years.The girls name is Paige.She is a beautiful redhead that I affectionally call Ethel.Now everyone calls her that!She reminds me of Lucille Ball but Lucy did not seem to fit so she got stuck with Ethel and so did the fish.Anyway enough of the back story.
So who names fish or other creatures in the reef they have?If so PLEASE include the name(s) and a pic of them.We all love pictures here at r2r and would love to see your "Ethel".

20180817_235601_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only named one fish in all my years of fish keeping....my current Lighting Maroon is named Casper because he has ghost looking markings on his side.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Mike. That is very kind.

I always named my pets, but rarely the fish. Over time perhaps a Clarkii would be called Clark and a Snowflake Eel would become Snowflake, in the same way we evolve into familiar names for our human acquaintances. A Mandarin becomes Mandy.

Now that we have kids we name all of the fish and invertebrates. It is fun and brings them closer to the hobby. “Look at that fish.” for them is a lot different than “Look what Ruby did!”

Without further adieu, here are our friends

Ruby the Pink Streak Wrasse
D341F1DD-149D-45A9-ACBB-0C60D5165A2F.jpeg

Skyler the Midas Blenny

55D4A13A-42FB-4E78-8036-B89C609D010C.jpeg

Lucy & Ricky the Cleaner Shrimp
83A3C7E8-65AD-4D02-A86C-5EC1C3BD301E.jpeg

Pepper the Peppermint Shrimp
E27F7941-EF01-43B0-A0A1-13A602653D45.jpeg

They came up with all of the names themselves and all are perfect for each animal’s appearance and behavior.

Last edited:

Dos Ocho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don’t name everything, but do name a few critters.

Our 2 Black and White Clowns are Bertha and Clarence

The Court Jester Goby is The Joker

The Chromis is The Highlander. He was part of a group of 5 fish when I started my 40 tank. 4 of the 5 mysteriously died about a month later. He was the sole survivor so, “There can be only one...”

A few corals and inverts have names too. I have a big green rock nem I just call The Killer. One night he ate a porcelain crab, so...

Another rock nem is constantly moving around so he is The Wanderer. The other nems are just there, so no names for them.

I call my Styloconiella coral Mr. Styles. Mainly because Styloconiella is kind of a mouthful.

That’s about it. I think it’s just human nature for some of us to name animals we see every day as their personality develops. Our dogs and cats have their proper names and several other nicknames. We even name the neighborhood feral cats and other animals that move thru our property on a regular basis. Kind of a fun game...

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everything gets a name, just the special ones.

Had a pair of stubby clowns that were "shark bait" and "who haha". Shark bait didn't make it through a power outage a few years ago, but who haha is alive and well. They were the first fish we ever had, and 5.5 yrs later still going. Survived about 8 tank moves too.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm.... some of them

Six line Wrasse is Linus
Yellow Watchman Goby is Mr. Grumpfish
Three chromis are Huey Duey and Louie (original, huh?)
Two Clarkii babies are Java and Mocha
Cherub Angelfish is Tiny
Scribbled Rabbitfish is Crayon

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't really name my fish unless they forced me too by being so personable that it couldn't be helped, but when I met my wife I began to re-stock my tank after a crash and she was so super excited about naming them how could I say no and ruin an opportunity to get her more involved with my hobby. So here's the list so far, I'll try to get pictures later: Blue morpho tang: Ezmerelda; blue throat trigger: Nigel; (3) yellow tangs: winken, blinken, and nod; Potters Wrasse: Titto; Leopard wrasse: Violetta; Mated pair Allenii damsel: Mr.&Mrs. Damsel; Starry blenny: Dotty; Lawnmower blenny: Gus; Pair azure damsel: Shakey & Snakey; Sapphire damsel: flakey; Pair shark nose goby: max & erma; Clown: carlos; flame angel: Yuri; Pajama cardinal: PJ; Harlequin shrimp: Beerus the destroyer; haloween hermit: egon; and the last named thing and it's one that the wife insisted had a name upon its entry to the aquarium Fanny the elegance coral.

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, we name all the fish and the Cleaner Shrimp (Leo), not the corals or other hermits. Helps keep my wife into the tank and kids like the names also.
Some are just basic names, and some have meaning. Like, Purple/Gold Royal Gramma is named after LSU's baseball coach Paul Maineri, so we call him Maineri.

Also, helps my wife tell me whats going on in the tank.
"Leo's all over the Sunny D's" or "Maineri just went after Clay (clown)".

Keeps it fun and personable.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see. Well there Mr& Mrs Barnum my clown pair. there's Beggar & mooch the racoon butterfly & Malanerus wrasse& Miss Penny the Copper Band . The clowngoby is Daffy . As an Homage to Daffy duck, he was a little duck but a greedy little duck. I have a swiss guard basslet that no name has stuck yet .

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With two kids heck yea they are all named, even the torches are named Mr. and Ms. Wigglesworth. Have no idea which one is the boy or girl but my 4 year old son does somehow. Unfortunately this year I lost two close friends to drug overdoses and purchased a memorial coral and memorial shrimp in their names and they are named as such. My red headed jokester friend who died I got the JF Jack o lantern for and my other buddy had the last name Tenney so for him I got a skunk cleaner shrimp and named it Tenney on account of its huge antennae.
IMG_1763.JPG
IMG_1534.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back