Do you name your fish? Why or why not?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an inbred maroon clownfish named Quasimoto. Due credit to a post I saw on the internet. my other clownfish is named swimmy. Blue chromis named flash. wrasse named mr. limpet. Blue throat trigger and pink spot goby named Carlos and Fred. originally i had those names reversed but changed them due to personality.
Almost forgot. A trio of anthias named the three little pigs.

>> reversed due to personality

Lol— what made Fred a Carlos, and vice versa?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why, did you give your Slippery Dick a rude name? ;)
I have 2 of them and my wife calls them slippery Richards. Their real names are mark and Matthew after two friends who are brotersb. They were named after them because like my friends, they are never more than 2 inches from each other! Lol

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FB_IMG_1542462612336.jpg
I have a Spike too!! His urchin bro’s name is Rocky :)

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We name them all. I’m super attached. I also like being able to talk about them with others using their names because they can often remember the names but not the scientific name. Angry Bob is my favorite. He’s a Midas blenny and spent a lot of time at first giving the rest of the fish the finger. However, now I would say that Petey the yellow clown goby is the scrappy one. That little dude has no fear and will nip fins if necessary to get his point across. No one messes with him now!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I nammed my two clownfish. The female is nammed Amelia Bedford Furthington Chesterhill, and the male is nammed James Fielding Wellingstonworth.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont care if my fish have a name or not since i usual refer to them by their trade name... it yellow tang, blue throat, etc. but my 3 and 4 year old like to name them ridiculous things so i let them and have to keep them in my head. my wife goes by what the kids name them too. so if i have to tell my wife something about a fish i have to say, look at "sir farts alot" instead of look at the melarnus wrasse.... :\

swebb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure that every person that my roommates or I bring to our place gives all or most of the fish new names. The Kole tang has not even gone in the tank and so far it has been named: Chloe, Cole, James, John, Fishy McFishface, Jaundice, Filbert, Coors, and Spot. I personally do not really care, except for a few that have great personalities and letting others name them appears to get them very interested in the tank and species trying to create punny names.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I name my fish mostly by their personality traits or association. For instance my mated clowns are name Mr & Mrs Barnum. Stuff like that.

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell yeah I do! They have more personality than half the people I know. They deserve names :)

Exactly! They all have their own habits, preferences, friendships/rivalries, moods, etc. They’re not just disposable ‘specimens’ as some people seem to think. I actually get quite attached to them! My Midas blenny is named Kermit and my flame angel is Rio to list a few

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This made me chuckle. Unsentimental guys are often closet romantics. I know I am, even though I don’t name my fish. I even suggested to my wife to not bother to name our kids either .... number one and number two seemed entirely sensible to me. I view my tank first and foremost as an ecosystem - that’s my primary objective and individual fish or corals are secondary to that goal so I’m generally unsentimental about them.

There's not enough names to name all of your fish anyway! :D

My oldest grand daughter names mine sometimes but the names change. The only two that have names that I use are Beaker....my CBB given to me by Humblefish and Butthead....my Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse who earned every bit of that name and the multi week time out he's now serving in one of my cycled QT tanks.:p

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, I named my deer chihauhau Mr. Peabody. On account of he used to hike his leg to pee and it ran down on his chest. he got better at that, fortunately.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest pair of clowns are Jackson and Jillibean. Mandarins are Fiona and Drago. My Zoster is Pumba, because he is a pig! I name them all. I discovered recently that Jackson and Jillibean can see the red dot from my flashlight. They attack it if it gets to close to their home!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my fish have names. I even talk to them just like I do my dogs. When I got my foxface, my mother came over and informed my that foxes are raynards (never knew that). So his name became Ray. Now he has become Mom's fish. She visits him whenever she's here. Makes her happy.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 153 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back