Do you name your fish? Why or why not?

I_Got_Crabs

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
189
Reaction score
135
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm often surprised by my reefing buddies' naming habits. One of the least sentimental guys I know names every fish he has (mostly after star wars or nintendo characters), and then there's another friend who only has one fish that remains nameless.

Why do you or don't you name your fish? And what are some of your favourite or best fish names?
 
Last edited:
We name all our fish. This helps keep my wife interested in our tank, and know when a fish has been missing or acting strangely when I'm out of town. If it was just me, I would likely naturally reserve nicknames for my favourite fish.

Wobbly Man, our Midas Blenny, is one of my favourites.
 
Why, did you give your Slippery Dick a rude name? ;)

I had one in an AGA 120g probably 15 years ago. I only referred to it as its Scientific Name of Halichoeres bivittatus. lol
 
I've never named them, however, I do call my diamond goby a particular name when it jumps out of the tank 9 out of 10 times when I have the screen top off to clean the tank. argh.
 
no. and if i did, they would all be obscene names. that way when i repeat them to people, they would feel uncomfortable for even asking if i named my fish. ;):D

haha you can imagine the name i call my diamond when it jumps out then. ;)
 
One of the least sentimental guys I know names every fish he has

This made me chuckle. Unsentimental guys are often closet romantics. I know I am, even though I don’t name my fish. I even suggested to my wife to not bother to name our kids either .... number one and number two seemed entirely sensible to me. I view my tank first and foremost as an ecosystem - that’s my primary objective and individual fish or corals are secondary to that goal so I’m generally unsentimental about them.
 
If they have names, it's their common name with a "y" added to the end... e.g. our rose scale wrasse is "Rosey", the cleaner wrasse is "cleany", the melenarus wrasse is "melly", etc.

We used to have better names when I had less fish in a smaller tank, now that I've got a larger tank and 12+ fish... eh
 
FB_IMG_1542462612336.jpg
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new