• No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to buy a mandarin for my 15 gallon reef.Don’t worry I have loads of copepods. I was wondering if you need to quarantine mandarins. Currently I have a clownfish in my tank. I don’t want to quarantine it because I don’t want to worry about not having copepods in the quarantine tank. I have also heard that they are pretty resilient to ich and stuff like that. So do I need to quarantine it?

Wallace11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There isn't a perfect answer to this, but if the only other fish in the tank is a clownfish I personally wouldn't quarantine the mandarin. Getting a captive bred one (Biota) will give you a much better success rate as they are going to be healthier and eat prepared foods (I've had mine for 4 years now in a 30 gal and she happily eats pellets and mysis). Lots of copepods is going to make things much easier.

Wallace11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi! Newbie here, how do you gauge the pod population in your tanks? Visual inspection? Looking at water under a microscope?
There are numerous species of copepods but the ones that mandarins will eat are usually in the ~0.5-1.5 mm range. Algae Barn has a nice description of them on their web site. Best time to look for them is at night with the lights out - shine a flash light into the crevices of rocks and you should see them scurrying around (I have to put my reading glasses on or I miss them). If you have a lot of them they will also be on the glass. You can purchase pods from a number of places to seed/supplement your population if needed.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what Wallace11 said - if you are going to QT them, get tank-raised fish from Biota. Trying to get wild mandarins to eat enough in what is usually a sterile QT tank (meaning that you would have to feed live pods, which would also not have anything to eat and sustain themselves) would be a challenge I would think. Biota mandarins will come in small, so QT'ing them to get some weight on them, train them on prepared foods, etc. and get them a little larger is probably a good thing. That is my plan when I get my pair from Biota.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biota mandarin in qt finishing up copper power rn. Things have been going great since they easily feed on pellets. I wouldn't rely on the pod population in a 15gal lasting very long. Get a captive bred mandarin so you know if they wipe out the pods you can still feed pellets thats also way less expensive then constantly replenishing your pod population.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is coming straight from a captive breeder, then I wouldn't. If the fish makes any stops at a wholesaler or retailor, then I would.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is coming straight from a captive breeder, then I wouldn't. If the fish makes any stops at a wholesaler or retailor, then I would.
Ok thank you I’ll get it from biota or somewhere like that

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biota mandarin in qt finishing up copper power rn. Things have been going great since they easily feed on pellets. I wouldn't rely on the pod population in a 15gal lasting very long. Get a captive bred mandarin so you know if they wipe out the pods you can still feed pellets thats also way less expensive then constantly replenishing your pod population.
I will do that then thanks

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what Wallace11 said - if you are going to QT them, get tank-raised fish from Biota. Trying to get wild mandarins to eat enough in what is usually a sterile QT tank (meaning that you would have to feed live pods, which would also not have anything to eat and sustain themselves) would be a challenge I would think. Biota mandarins will come in small, so QT'ing them to get some weight on them, train them on prepared foods, etc. and get them a little larger is probably a good thing. That is my plan when I get my pair from Biota.
That’s what I’ll do then thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back