Do you Quarantine Your Fish?

Do you Quarantine your fish?

• Yes, I Observe and treat if necessary.

Votes: 135 23.6%
  • Yes, I treat prophylactically.

Votes: 142 24.8%
  • No, I do not QT my fish and I have no interest in QT.

Votes: 175 30.5%
  • No, I do not QT my fish, but am interested in starting.

Votes: 121 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to observational qt only. And then got lazy. And my tank got hit. But special thanks to @HotRocks and @4FordFamily who have been coaching me through the entire process. With their help I was able to avoid losing any fish due to velvet with exception to the fish that brought the disease into the tank. But with their help I got all the meds I needed, got the qt tank setup and copper dosed. My fish are alive and well now. Thanks @HotRocks and @4FordFamily!!

Absolutely! I have read through a lot of what has been posted, and it's partially why I'm planning to start. I have most of the listed meds and I'm about ready to start. Just have one more biz trip next week, then I'm going to order a few (no more than 3 this round) new fish and go through a full QT following these recommended steps.

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just curious as to how much of our membership QTs their fish? This can be something as simple as observe and treat if symptomatic, or prophylactic treatment.

Starting a poll to see what everyone does.

We are working on some updates and interested to know what portion of our membership actively QTs new livestock.
I stopped quarantining fish after I killed more in QT than in the display. In my experience, QT is too stressful for most fish and does not eliminate all disease anyways.

I've heard of people quarantining fish for weeks, letting a display go fallow, only to have an ich outbreak later.

I am of the opinion that no matter what you do, disease (life) will find a way. My best defense has been to keep hands out of tank, feed a good diet, and minimize stress by choosing good tank mates. That said, I only add fish from trusted sources, that are eating well, show no sign of disease and aren't from a tank with a diseased fish and dip with Seachem Paraguard prior to DT introduction.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle with believing any of us could go four years without any wet additions to the tank! LOL! I cannot go a month!

This is true, I mean... I’ve gone a few months at a time without adding anything but at the very least I have to replenish the CUC at some point...

lol, yeah, it has been tough...with our big move and build of this new house I was overwhelmed with work and other things that come up, including starting two new businesses, and even considered getting rid of the tank a few times, just because I wasn't able to devote enough time to it. In the end I just couldn't let it go, and now that things have settled down bit I started reading these forums, and my daughter got me hooked on YouTube (evil thing, way too many great videos of reefing) I have decided to jump full back into it...slowly...I have forced myself to be patient and read everything and do it "right" from now on...

Once the fish are in I'll take a look at corals...Houston has the big MARSH swap in May, maybe that will be the trigger for corals...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back