Do you Quarantine Your Fish?

Do you Quarantine your fish?

• Yes, I Observe and treat if necessary.

Votes: 135 23.6%
  • Yes, I treat prophylactically.

Votes: 142 24.8%
  • No, I do not QT my fish and I have no interest in QT.

Votes: 175 30.5%
  • No, I do not QT my fish, but am interested in starting.

Votes: 121 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just curious as to how much of our membership QTs their fish? This can be something as simple as observe and treat if symptomatic, or prophylactic treatment.

Starting a poll to see what everyone does.

We are working on some updates and interested to know what portion of our membership actively QTs new livestock.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been religious about prophylactic QT this go around in the hobby. I’ve already had a much better experience. I’ve also got more money invested in my setup and have had better looking fish that have been growing, fattening up, and even spawning.

MRB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna try and go the survival of the fittest route. Even with qt if anything gets into your DT it seems like everything goes. Gonna try and keep fish hardy with good immune systems and see how it goes!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to play Russian Roulette and got very lucky. Not anymore though. I wasn't very good at QT'ing myself, but I found a friend that did it for me.

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do not but understand the benefits to quarantining. I have 4 fish currently for about a year or so and want to add another but am a little hesitant too because of the risk. I’m sure it will be half do half don’t or pretty close. I’ve been pretty lucky but it only takes one to wipe out a Dt so thats why I haven’t gotten another fish yet. I think qt puts extra stress on fish that’s why I haven’t set one up, but I realize also at least in qt if they are sick only they die instead of dropping them in your dt and everyone dies. So I guess I’m kinda stuck in limbo between quarantining and not lol.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always prophylactically treat all fish and fallow corals, inverts and algaes. I would like to add, the only fish I've had die in QT were two that came in in terrible shape with multiple infections. I'm very skeptical of the claim I often see that fish are more likely to die in QT or that the meds are "harsh on fish". If you know what you're doing and provide proper hides with good water quality I don't see why it would be any different. I think QT may get a bad rap from people that are new to the hobby and make some newbie mistakes.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Hot Rocks for a poll question that reflects how I do things .
I have 2 Qt's (20 longs) setup & going in case I see a fish I want. I'm very picky ! I observe for a long time . I let the fish relax from any hassle,feed it real good . If I see a prob I'll treat the fish.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Hot Rocks for a poll question that reflects how I do things .
I have 2 Qt's (20 longs) setup & going in case I see a fish I want. I'm very picky ! I observe for a long time . I let the fish relax from any hassle,feed it real good . If I see a prob I'll treat the fish.
You are welcome!

I do QT EVERYTHING prophylactically but anyone that knows me already has that figured out!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been keeping Reef tanks since about 1987. Didn’t QT a thing for the first 15 years or so and had issues building up a large and diverse fish population. After that, nominally 2003, I started to QT all fish (though not inverts). Generally I do not treat prophylactically, preferring to just observe and fatten. I’ve found this approach to work quite well and now do have a large and diverse fish population.

I’d actually be curious to see how age/hobby longevity correlates to QT. It is my sense that newer reefers tend to go for the meds quicker than do the more seasoned ones. I wonder if that’s actually true.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. But I only buy from sellers that do some sort of partial or full QT prior to shipping (TSM, Marine Collectors, and DD before my tank was heavily stocked and risk was lower).

Last edited:

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used to quarantine at all but like most that do I only ran the gauntlet for so long. I introduced a Powder Blue to my tank that predictably burst out in spots within a week. Lost 2 fish but got the other 3 through treatment.

I now quarantine all new additions and prophylactic treat with CP before they go into my display.

MRB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been keeping Reef tanks since about 1987. Didn’t QT a thing for the first 15 years or so and had issues building up a large and diverse fish population. After that, nominally 2003, I started to QT all fish (though not inverts). Generally I do not treat prophylactically, preferring to just observe and fatten. I’ve found this approach to work quite well and now do have a large and diverse fish population.

I’d actually be curious to see how age/hobby longevity correlates to QT. It is my sense that newer reefers tend to go for the meds quicker than do the more seasoned ones. I wonder if that’s actually true.

I'm fairly new and staying away from meds!

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never used to and I probably had Ich in ~50% of the fish I brought home (likely a product of the LFS I used to go to), and although most of my fish survived it, a lot of them experienced symptoms like flashes which I’d prefer to avoid. However, the fish did seem to be very hardy and live long lives after surviving the Ich.

This time around I plan to QT every fish and prophylactically treat with a less-harsh treatment in hopes of not adding additional stress to the acclimation process. I feel the benefits outweigh immediately adding the new additions to the display and the risks that come with it, especially if you keep valuable fish or have an attachment to the current fish in your display. I was being lazy or impatient when I didn’t QT which are poor reasons not to, especially with it being relatively low risk/maintenance and inexpensive to do.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back