Do you REALLY need a Media Basket?

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on stabilizing my Fluval Evo 13.5 after noticing my parameters being a little high (after complacent, lack of attention to testing on my part), and started thinking. I really want to ditch the stock filter sponge that goes in Chamber 2, as I think it is a source of some of my high readings. I currently have an In Tank media basket in chamber 1 and love it; however, I am days away from starting my Red Sea Reefer 350 build and really don't want to spend $40-$50 on a media basket for chamber 2 on this tank right now. I plan on keeping it running for now, so I do want to make sure I get all my parameters in check.

My question is, can I ditch the sponge in chamber 2 and just dump a few inches (2", 3" or 4"??) of bio-media in the bottom, and maybe lay a carbon bag or bag of Purigen, or both, right on top of the bio-media? Is a chamber basket REALLY necessary? I get the convenience of having a basket, but other than that, is there any reason I couldn't just "pile the stuff" in there without a basket?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a word, no. They do help provide good flow through the media however as it forces water directionally through it. So both ease of use and effectiveness are generally improved.

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest question, If you remove a media basket, the stuff that's inside it right now, where do you think it goes? It doesn't disappear, just goes somewhere else.
Yes. I'm more wondering if you need the basket to stack stuff on, or if you could just place the same stuff that you would have in a basket directly into the chamber, without a basket. I've heard it's good to ditch the sponge that comes with the system and goes in chamber 2, but I don't want to leave the chamber empty; hence the bio-media and carbon just "piled" directly into the chamber.

I know there are some experts here, so before I do something stupid, I figured I'd ask.

Appreciate all the feedback!

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my plan for today was to remove my sponge in chamber 2 and put in some bio media and charcoal, maybe purigen too. But... I chickened out and just rinsed the sponge in my tank water from my WC and replaced the carbon. Someday I'll change it up. Im not confident enough that I wont screw things up worse and I feel like I'm heading in the right direction with my water now. LOL

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a related question. For those of you that do have a basket in chamber two, how the heck are you taking the basket in and out without media spilling out of the sides?

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a related question. For those of you that do have a basket in chamber two, how the heck are you taking the basket in and out without media spilling out of the sides?
No problem, buddy!! I'm all ears for anything related to this issue. Hopefully we both learn something! LOL

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ditch the sponge and use some filter fiber. Chuck and replace when it gets dirty, unless you are good with finding the sponge. It’s mechanical filtration and needs to be cleaned regularly (in my experience) lest too much detritus clogs it up.

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to add on, a basket isn’t necessary but will make maintenance easier. I’ve build them using plastic mesh and zip ties on the cheap and they function really well.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the basket, carbon etc always should be in a bag, but biological media can be loose in the basket, if not using a basket I would use a bag so it can be removed for cleaning.

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to add on, a basket isn’t necessary but will make maintenance easier. I’ve build them using plastic mesh and zip ties on the cheap and they function really well.
Thanks! Maybe my next WC I'll ditch it. Its one of those things that I know I probably should, so I guess I need to just do it.

Appreciate the info!

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the basket, carbon etc always should be in a bag, but biological media can be loose in the basket, if not using a basket I would use a bag so it can be removed for cleaning.
Thanks! Is there a preferred type of bio-media i should use? I'm thinking when I do ditch the sponge, ill bag up some bio-media and drop it in.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Is there a preferred type of bio-media i should use? I'm thinking when I do ditch the sponge, ill bag up some bio-media and drop it in.

I use Siporax but there are many difference types of media, depends on the space you have available, some come in blocks, which make it easier to remove for cleaning etc

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back