Do you really need a sump for a FOWLR?

LivinTheSwreefLife

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2013
Messages
568
Reaction score
274
Location
Baltimore MD
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby after a hiatus. Thinking of going with a 40 gallon tank with no sump and keeping a pair of clowns and bunch of live rock. Nothing fancy. Do I really need a sump for this? Do I need a skimmer? I’ve only ever kept coral tanks before so don’t really know what you can get away with for FOWLR
 
I would argue that you don't even need a sump for a reef tank. No need for a sump or a skimmer in any case, its just nice to have.
 
Love my sump, extra water volume places for equipment keeps the display. Nice and clean better than a canister filter in my opinion.
 
I have 40 gallon soft coral tank -- no sump,,, no skimmer.
Been running over 4.5 years with no nutrient issues.
*corals actual might help though over FOWLR -- never tried that
 
I had a 55 Fowler for ten years with no sump or skimmer. Just weekly water changes.
 
40 gallons reef with no sump no skimmer
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new