do you think a clam can survive a 36 hour shipping?

redhanded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USPS express next day got delayed, and the package was ready to pick up 1 minute before they closed. So now I have to wait til the morning, which will make it about a 36-40 hour transit. Do you think there is any chance of the clams surviving?

If they are not rotten upon me getting them, what would be the best way to acclimate them for this situation?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the one I sent the other day didn't make it and it was in shipping for a little over 36 hours. They say that when they export them from say Viet Nam they are in shipping for very long time so ya never know. I would place it in a QT tank if I were you. When mine died it smelled up the whole house and my QT water was so cloudy I couldn't see in it very well. I had to do a 100 percent wc in the QT last night.

OP
OP
R

redhanded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks man. Im leaving a few minutes to go pick it up. I have a QT tank I can put them, but how fast of an acclimation should I do? Should I immediately get them out of the bad water and put them in the tank or should I dip acclimate?

OP
OP
R

redhanded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bad news. Just got home and opened the box and things don't look so well. Water in the bag smells horrible and there is no movement from any of the clams, Im pretty sure they are all dead, but for hope, I am dripping them right now. I can't believe the ordeal I went through with USPS express. First they are a day late, and the box comes in last night 15 mins after they close. This morning I go down to pick it up and they give me the run around saying they can't located the box. I had to drive back and forth to 2 different zip code post office locations, and neither can find it. Kinda odd when it says clearly on the tracking at which post office it is located at. Anyways, I go back to original post office I was at and where it was supposed to be, and they "mysteriously" find it on the pick up shelf.....go figure.

Anyways, I rush home, open the bags and immediately place all clams and water in a small bucket and begin drip, and thats where Im at. Things don't look good. Oh well, it is what it is. Nothing I could've done any different.

OP
OP
R

redhanded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were 6 total, all kinda small, actually smaller that I thought. All packaged seperately with water and no air. Looks like there was alot of little brittle starts and astrea stars that were dead in each bag....Im sure that must add to the water quality. From now on, I won't order any clams any smaller than 4", because from my experience, they don't ship well. Luckily I am not a maxima guy, as I heard they are pretty sensitive on shipping and such. Not a good month for me as far as shipping goes.

Skinz - have you seen the store barrierreefaquariums.com? They have some nice squammies in stock and they are located in Renton.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have, I have been there and my buddy "billguy on here" actually works there. I have bought quite a few clams from them.

swordfight

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, that sucks, sorry to hear about your shipping delay, we've all experience that issue before.

Was the bag leaking or did it say perishables/live fish anywhere on the box? That may have caused the delay due to their suspicion.

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, I would've emptied half of the water that came in the bag(s) and added some nitrate reduced. Besides that I don't think they'll make it, but hey look on the bright side, we all survived the rapture so your clams may survive.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back