How Long will Fish Survive Shipping

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered from Dr Reef, and was shipped out last Night (Thursday). I received a notification from UPS that the flight was delayed and the package will come Monday. That will be 96+ hours in a bag... is there any chance of survivors in this? I have to imagine all of the O2 will be used up and lower temperatures are going to kill the fish.

This is in no way a knock on Dr Reef (only had success with them).

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered from Dr Reef, and was shipped out last Night (Thursday). I received a notification from UPS that the flight was delayed and the package will come Monday. That will be 96+ hours in a bag... is there any chance of survivors in this? I have to imagine all of the O2 will be used up and lower temperatures are going to kill the fish.

Oof, that's terrible. Sorry to hear that. I'd guess the odds aren't very good. I can tell you that my last Dr. Reef Package was lost in Kentucky overnight (in the semi cold) and the package arrived 30 hours later than it should have. The fish were not in great shape, but 12/12 survived and are healthy and happy.

I'd recommend you make some 1.021-1.023 water, get it heated and if you have anyone still breathing on Monday - float the bag for temp and dump them straight into the newly heated 1.021 water. The ammonia will come on fast the moment you open that bag.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof, that's terrible. Sorry to hear that. I'd guess the odds aren't very good. I can tell you that my last Dr. Reef Package was lost in Kentucky overnight (in the semi cold) and the package arrived 30 hours later than it should have. The fish were not in great shape, but 12/12 survived and are healthy and happy.

I'd recommend you make some 1.021-1.023 water, get it heated and if you have anyone still breathing on Monday - float the bag for temp and dump them straight into the newly heated 1.021 water. The ammonia will come on fast the moment you open that bag.

Thanks. Yep, mine are also in KT right now.

I have an extra tank + pump and heater I can use. And move some seeded bioballs to transfer over. I can get it to 1.021, and dump them into there, assuming there are any survivors. Let them chill for a bit and slowly increase salinty to match DT for 12 hours, before trying to move them elsewhere.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it would highly depend on the type of fish and the packaging more than anything. But I do think you might be surprised. They definitely won't be happy but willing to bet as long as they aren't overly delicate fish, you'll have survivors.

Can't see somebody who ships as many fish as Dr Reef being bad at the packaging process and not somewhat expecting delays

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it would highly depend on the type of fish and the packaging more than anything. But I do think you might be surprised. They definitely won't be happy but willing to bet as long as they aren't overly delicate fish, you'll have survivors.

Can't see somebody who ships as many fish as Dr Reef being bad at the packaging process and not somewhat expecting delays

Agreed - 4 days vs 2 days is a lot though

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how well Dr. Reef packs them up. I had this happen a couple of times - in one case, the fish were fine, in the other case not fine. I stopped ordering livestock for Friday delivery for precisely this reason.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how well Dr. Reef packs them up. I had this happen a couple of times - in one case, the fish were fine, in the other case not fine. I stopped ordering livestock for Friday delivery for precisely this reason.

yea - agree on Friday.. logistically it works out, but didn't consider (until now) the impact of a weekend delay.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Reefs packing is second to none. The fact they have the fish eating and in a healthy state for a few weeks after QT makes them ship a lot better too. I contribute the packing job to why I went 12/12 after a 30 hour delay.

In this case, I think the biggest challenge is KY is cold... and there likely isn't enough heat in that box for 4 days.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call UPS and ask them if you can pick up at customer center. They are usually open Saturdays
I've done this for all my orders. Normally when I get my estimated arrival times it's a like 7PM on the Friday that they're set to arrive, which is also conveniently after hours for the pickup hub. The plane (at least for me) lands in the mornings though so whenever I see the tracking updates to arrival at the hub I can go over and pick it up hours before everything is finished processing

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Reefs packing is second to none. The fact they have the fish eating and in a healthy state for a few weeks after QT makes them ship a lot better too. I contribute the packing job to why I went 12/12 after a 30 hour delay.

In this case, I think the biggest challenge is KY is cold... and there likely isn't enough heat in that box for 4 days.

So good news is that Dr Reef pulled some strings and got UPS to shift it to Saturday delivery. It will still be about 48 hours, but that is WAY better than 96 hours. We'll see tomorrow

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So good news is that Dr Reef pulled some strings and got UPS to shift it to Saturday delivery. It will still be about 48 hours, but that is WAY better than 96 hours. We'll see tomorrow
That is great news. Good luck!

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this for all my orders. Normally when I get my estimated arrival times it's a like 7PM on the Friday that they're set to arrive, which is also conveniently after hours for the pickup hub. The plane (at least for me) lands in the mornings though so whenever I see the tracking updates to arrival at the hub I can go over and pick it up hours before everything is finished processing
This is into Hawaii?

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is into Hawaii?
Yep! Everything has arrived on time so far and in perfect health apart from one wrasse that did not ship well, but a replacement for that one is already in the works. Other than that everyone is well adjusted and eating pretty much out of the box. Even my McCosker's came out of hiding only a couple hours and actively ate from the water column. Can't recommend Dr. Reef enough

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I would wait - stranger things have happened in the mean time - talk to the shipper and complain. Seems like its not @Dr. Reef 's fault - but I'm hopeful he will make you whole

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait - stranger things have happened in the mean time - talk to the shipper and complain. Seems like its not @Dr. Reef 's fault - but I'm hopeful he will make you whole

Yeah, he has been awesome, and in no way their fault. Its supposed to arrive tomorrow now, so we'll see how it works.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't ship Thursday for Friday arrival because of this. When I pack orders I pack them to be fine for an extra day delay, but I don't really think there is a lot that a shipper can do to get terrific success with a 96 hour transit window. A single day delay is generally fine.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

UPS has done that several times to me and they arrive DOA or very close to DOA and dont live long after in my experience.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Normally we pack fish with 2 days in mind. Without giving some proprietary info away, there is a checmical in the water that makes fish sleep and reduces ammonia. Does not lower O2.
Fish in a bag with our water can survive 5 days. We have had shipping delays in storms in Florida where fish didnt get delivered for 4 days and it lived.
Heat packs are good for 40 hours.
We have an excellent relationship with UPS due to our volume, they normally will track out shipments and make adjustments and place priorities.
As you saw today, neither you or us called ups but they remarked the shipment for saturday delivery on their own.
If all fails, I know its not good for fish but we have insurances on all packages so we and customers are never at loss. Thats why we guarantee healthy fish in your hands even if ups delays or damages our shipment, we guarantee live heatly arrival at no cost to customer.
Only failing part in the box is heat pack. Manufacturer say 40 hrs but they peak out at 2-3 hrs and remains steady for next 12-14 hrs and then starts to cool off. About 24-30 hrs its just barely warm. But the insulated cooler can hold temp for additional 14-16 hrs before it starts to cool off. Given its subjected to cold temps directly.
In such situation we extend the STAY ALIVE guarantee for additional 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.2%
Back