Do you think this will be enough light?

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m setting up a 135g acrylic tank. I have this 220w led blackbox(has timer programming in it. I know a photo probably isn’t enough to say for sure or not. But I figured I could get some opinions. I could always build 2 20 led lights for each side(all my other tanks on using homemade led lights). Also, I still have a lot of stuff to do before this tank is set up. So don’t hinge too hard.
74B9DB9E-AA22-4419-9B72-5449371A3C3D.jpeg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your only wanting to keep corals happy in the middle 18” of the tank then sure it will be enough. Would I run it like that? No, I would buy another one of those fixtures and put them side by side to fill the whole tank. Good luck with the new setup!

Dsdman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell for sure but mine looks to be the same, I have a VIPARSPECTRA 300w LED light for my 65 gal tank. This light is 31.5 inches long and 8.5 inches wide. It has a blue channel and a white channel. I also have an orbit Marine IC lighting system. But it puts out so little light I was not able to keep some corals. It does make a nice mount for my new light however. Since I have added the 300W I have not ran the white channel more than about 10% power...well I did have it at 25% but that caused a GHA explosion I'm just now getting a handle on...so I've dialed it back to not much, like 3%. The blue channel I started at 25% and have increased it to 32% trying to get my softies and GBTA acclimated to it. I wish there was a specific formula for the lights to tank to inhabitant but I think its trial and error, adjust, observe, react, adjust, observe change water, react, rinse repeat....

I'm also open to any suggestions, short of buying/renting a light meter-which I still wouldn't know how to translate into actionable settings.
Tank.JPG

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back